ugh asked in Games & RecreationBoard Games · 3 months ago

is elo rating 1500 good or bad what elo rating you consider to be good?

in chess of course

• Yavan
    Best Answer

It all depends who you're comparing yourself to.

(And Elo is intrinsically a system for relative comparison. Those numbers don't have much of a mathematical meaning on their own. ELO is based on a statistical method to compare you within a group).

Also depends on the mathematical method used. 1500 FIDE is generally stronger than 1500 USCF.

So it all depends who you're comparing yourself to.

This being said...

To Magnus Carlsen, you're not even a blip on the radar. He can toss you around like a rag doll.

An expert player (1800 - 1900) will have respect for you. You would be a strong amateur in his eyes. He can beat you without much difficulty most of the time, but he knows he can't take you too lightly.

At 1500 (club), you are generally a strong amateur.

Now, it is popular to say online ratings are meaningless. I think that's an exaggeration, but they do tend to be inflated. Club player 1500 is respectable. (Again, depends compared to who). So is 1500 online, but these players would more likely be around 1350 - 1400 in a club.

A player with a 'genuine' over the board ELO rating is a good player who would slaughter most amateur home players.

I have no elo rating (OTB chess). I only play online chess. I have different elo ratings online. I think 1500 is a good elo for a beginner.

• Dong

Many online chess systems start you at 1500 elo, so I can't say. But if you can sustain it, then it means you're a smart player. It takes actual studying of the game to get much higher than 1800 ish in most systems