Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 1 year ago

What should I say if student ask about my self harm scars?

So I’m going to start substitute teaching middle and elementary school students. I have visible self harm scars from when I was younger (I am now 19). If I get any kiddos asking what should I say to avoid controversy but also put a positive spin? It’s probably considered inappropriate to be honest about that sort of thing with students especially the younger ones.

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Cover them as best you can. And, if asked, just say "I got hurt when I was younger but I'm okay now." By the way, you must be pretty smart finishing college 2 years early, unless you're trolling.

You either wear long sleeve shirts or you’ll have cover it with makeup, or get tattoos there.. maybe get a permanent tattoo on those scars that way you won’t have to worry about it.

1 year ago

cover them with makeup, even tattoos. I would say Santa did it or something funny because they are kids...Thats what I do. I say the most ridcuolous thing I can think of when kids ask inappropriate questions.

You can be like I got swollowed by a whale.

Hope that helps =)

• 1 year ago

Obviously you should cover them as much as is reasonable.

But if anyone is crass enough to ask, just say, 'Oh I had an accident when I was very young' and leave it at that.

I myself have visible scarring on the undersides of each wrist, which I acquired at the age of six when I fell hands into a patch of barbed wire (there's more scarring under my chin and behind one knee, but nobody ever seems to notice that).

Nobody has ever asked directly, but when I notice people noticing, I just tell them, 'I had an accident when I was a little girl' and nobody has wanted to know more.

• Kelley
    1 year ago

Tell them the truth. And that you stopped once you realized that God loves you and He does not want you to take your life because you are precious to Him and He has plans for you- and God loves them as well and has plans for them too

• paul
    1 year ago

they are called , long sleeve shirts.