Is it hard or stressful being an actor/actress?

BQ: Do actors like to play characters that are similar or opposite to their own personality?

Favorite Answer

Yes, it’s challenging being an actor. As a career, every acting job is temporary and so you always have to worry about when and if you’ll get another job. And there’s a lot of training and practice that goes into creating a believable character. And even seasoned performers can be hit with stage freight. But as stressful as it is, it is also rewarding.

Most actors are happy to play any character - similar or different and actors bring a little bit of themselves to any role they play. What’s more fun is playing a complex character that experience changes because it gives an actor a lot of options to portray. That’s why villains can be more fun then heroes. Heroes/good guys tend to be static/one note. Playing a villain often give actors the chance to “chew the scenery” more and they often get the good lines.

Both I would imagine.......

• edward

I’m not a full time actor. I used to do it a lot more but now it’s only on occasion. Playing a part that is like yourself is the most difficult role one will ever play. Actors are professional liars, what we want from people is to be completely unrecognizable from the time the curtain opens till it closes. We’re someone else. Acting like someone else is easy, being yourself is hard which is why i don’t think that actors really know who they are if they’ve done it long enough

• edward

But the truth you find is not you. Getting paid to be someone else is basically sponsored identity theft. Like i said. Professional liars.

• Pope

This is quite a complicated answer but...sort of:

It is hard/stressful for most people to become an actor; without a pool of resources to draw from, living somewhere like London you need to earn money. That usually means having a job and then going home to do all the other work to maintain your acting job because the work is quite fleeting ad your job has to be somewhat flexible. It requires a lot of perseverance to breakthrough to a point where you're earning enough for it to be your full-time job. I'm not there yet. Most people I know aren't either.

However, I do get a little bit bored of actors that feel the need to have a constant pitty parade about it. There's a Facebook group called the Hustle and it's basically full of actors moaning about how acting is the hardest job in the world- to steal from Bill Burr: "Have you seen Ice Road Truckers?" Ultimately, in my opinion: If it's too hard....quit. Just quit, no one forces a person to become an actor. In fact, we already have too many people trying to do it. So, it is a hard profession but it's not like having polio or being an oppressed minority, so stop complaining and just get on with it. There are plenty of jobs I would rather not do. Acting isn't the hardest job in the world.

BQ: I have quite a kind face. So I often get cast in roles as weird characters with an element of pity. My favourite things to play are extreme emotional turns and people with inferiority complexes. I like to smash stuff up, and wave my arms about basically. I also love a good costume.

• Athena

It is both.

Why, did you think it was easy or something?

I think acting is great fun, but being out of work is stressful. I don't know how well I could handle acting in the same play night after night for forty nights in a row. Professional rivalry and jealousies are a real thing, but that's true in almost every field.

Playing someone totally unlike myself is a stretch and a professional challenge. It's part of the fun.

• John P

Indeed hard and stressful, especially when you get little acting work and have to pay for your daily living! Most actors are glad to get any parts, whether similar to or opposite to their personality.

• Cogito

I agree entirely with Katrina and AJ's answers.

All I can add to that is that the major stress is not knowing when you'll get your next paid acting work and having to work long hours in your 'day job' just to pay the bills and rent.

It's a constant round of applying for auditions - and getting invited to a very small number.

And of those few you get to attend, you'll probably get rejected every single time.

Winning one small role is a major achievement.

But even then, it might only be a few days' work and after that, you're back to applying for more auditions.

Fitting in a bunch of auditions, unpaid roles and a few days' paid acting here and there, while working an ordinary job, is usually extremely stressful!

As for your second question, my daughter's an actor and she much prefers to play a character who is nothing like her own personality - ideally the villain. The greater the challenge, the better she likes it!

Yes it can be stressful.

Katrina, as usual, has given an excellent answer. I can only second her statements that each acting job is temporary and we all have to hustle to find the next job.

All of us have nerves before going onstage. Mine are 1. I have to pee even though I just pee'd 10 minutes ago. 2. I can't think past my first line. But I take a deep breath, walk on stage and perform what we rehearsed.

I enjoy playing any character and have played characters something like me and some that are vastly different than me. I most enjoy roles that allow me to "stretch" as an actor. Some favorites were playing a blind person, a nun, a murderer and a mute person.

I'm not wealthy but being an actor has made me rich in other ways.

• Mark

Stress is relative. That said, tons of pro actors are nauseous, nervous, worried, etc before going on stage/before the camera rolls. That's part and parcel of exposing yourself in a vulnerable manner as a character.

I would guess that most actors would like a challenge on a character that is most opposite them.