Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 6 months ago

Rabbit over eating pellets?

I have a 2-month old, holland lop bunny. I typically leave unlimited pellets out for her. I recently transitioned her to new pellets, the pellets she was eating before was provided from her previous owner.i have noticed my rabbit has started eating more pellets than she is eating hay. Should I start limiting the amount of pellets she eats or is there anything else i can do? If I do limit the pellets how much should I give her?

• *****
    Favorite Answer

At 2 months, she can have unlimited plain rabbit pellets. You don't need to start limiting until her growth slows. 7 months is usually the recommended age, but I find that small breeds like Holland lops are done growing before that and can become obese quickly if not limited, I usually start cutting back pellets around 5 months with smaller rabbits unless they're underweight. If she's not eating hay well, you might see if you can find higher quality hay that's more attractive, or offer multiple varieties.

Try sprinkling pellets in the hay to get her to eat more hay.

I actually had the same problem with my 3 month old holland lop too. The breeder said to give them unlimited pellets but that creates a problem. Your bunny will eat more pellets and less hay. Hay is the most important thing for a rabbit because they cannot throw up and they need hay to pass the food. I would recommend giving your rabbit food in the morning and leave it out for sometime then take it. Do the same thing in the evening which works. Baby rabbits need Alfalfa hay and the same for food. Its simply not starving your rabbit :'). Hay is an important part of a rabbits diet. Overfeeding just allows the baby rabbit to become more depend on pellets then hay. Doing this will make the bunny eat the hat. If it doesn't touch the hay you provide it try using other types of hay. My baby bunny barely touched his hay but now hes starting to eat it since I take his pellets away. Hay blocks might work too. He loves to chew on them.

Don't know what overeating pellets is, they eat a certain amount a day.

Hay is just supplement they chew to keep their teeth healthy.

With pets, they should have a quantity of each available for their weight, having food always there they may overeat to overweight. They need their hay though, they won't get fat on that.

• patty

does she have veges etc which is more important

How dumb are you? OBVIOUSLY if you limit the amount of pellets you give it it will eat less.

You want her eating about her body size in hay every day. If she has started eating less hay, then, yes, it is a good idea to reduce and limit the pellets. Nothing extreme. Figure out about how much pellets she is eating each day. Then reduce that amount a bit and only offer that reduced amount.

How much to reduce depends on how much she's currently eating. If she's eating a cup, then reduce it to 3/4 cup and see if she starts eating more hay. It may take several days to notice a difference. Just cut back gradually.