British university vs american?

Once I have finished my a levels (law, criminology and English language) would it be possible to then study a law degree in America? How could I go about this, what would I need to do etc. If someone could please give me more information on this :)

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 12 months ago

Expensive and pointless

Things to note:

1 - law in the US is a post grad course; you'd need to have completed an undergrad degree first

2 - studying law in the US will NEVER lead to a job or life in the US; there are no visas for law (as there are no shortage of law graduates)

3 - a US law degree is useless in the UK (which is where you return after studying in another country)

• 12 months ago

Law school in US is professional graduate school requiring a minimum of a bachelor's degree to apply for admission. US law is useless to you outside US, and you will never obtain any employment visa to work in US. Law has been an extremely glutted field at least since the 1970's & with no shortage of qualified American attorneys who have passed federal & state bar exams, there is no chance any US law firm could apply for any temporary employment visa for a foreign worker. You absolutely are returning to your own country, with a useless degree. Waste of at least USD250,000 going to law school in US.

• Expat
    Lv 6
    1 year ago

Law school in America is a graduate degree program, so you would have to first complete your university degree (anywhere) and then apply for law school. Also, unless it is your intention to live and practice law in the US it wouldn’t make sense to study law there. Law school in the US is designed specifically to educate and prepare students to practice law in the US.

• drip
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

You can go on any US law school’s web site to read requirements to apply. You will need to take the LSAT exam. Law school is three years. Will you be able to afford it? No student loans for international students usually no or little financial aid.

https://law.illinois.edu/admissions/jd-admissions/...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 year ago

Certainly you could go to law school in the US, after you get a bachelor's degree, if you can afford years of study in the US, but then you'd be qualified to practise law in the US, not the UK.

• 1 year ago

It works differently in the US. In the UK, you can go directly into law school. In the US, you need a bachelor's (4 year) degree first. You could do your university in the UK and then go to law school in the US. But law is very specific to the country you're in. If you eventually want to practice law in the UK, you should go to law school there.

• 1 year ago

A math degree student came from the US to the UK to test himself on GCSE math and he barely got an A-. Lots of factors could have been at play though. The particular Uni, the teaching methods etc. Depends on the courses.

Lv 7
    1 year ago

You need a four year university degree to be admitted to law school in the USA. You also need decent grades and a reasonably good LSAT score.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.