How do I remove this bolt or nut from toilet water line?

I'm trying to attach a diaper spray to my toilet. What tool do I need this large nut/b

• DEBS
    Favorite Answer

TURN YOUR WATER OFF FIRST! (the knob for that is right there in your picture.)

Crescent Wrench

Open End Wrench

Channel Locks

In the end, a pair of regular pliers will work just fine if you can get a good grip on it.

When you put it back, if you want a good seal make sure you wrap a piece of plumber's tape (PTFE/Teflon tape) around it. A small role bigger than you'll ever need costs less than a dollar at any hardware store.

• DEBS

Interesting. I've always been told to use it there. Never had any problems. A search confirms that it isn't needed (not that it can interfere.)

• In

Slip an open end wrench over the back of the valve body, which looks to be about a 5/8', the put a another open end wrench, which looks like a 7/16", over the lower nut on the braided stainless steel line and turn that wrench counterclockwise while holding the larger one still. No thread dope or PTFE tape is required because of the rubber O-ring seal.

• Wizard of ID5 months agoReport

It's a compression fitting, no o-rings present.

Turn the water off twisting the knob

Take a wrench and loosen it with it

You better get a plumber to do it. You'll just vuck it up and break something.

• Nuff Sed

I recently discovered that the "shutoff valve" on one of our toilets, like the one shown, did not actually shut off, since the valve seat had disintegrated. Luckily, it's not my first dog show, so I had a bucket and rags handy for the possible leakage. Not all DIYers think it through.

WD40 and an ordinary adjustable spanner. Probably two spanners to hold the lower nut still.

• elhigh

When you talk about the "large nut," you don't mean the one that the valve is poking out of, do you? Don't loosen that.

Turn the water off - valve handle is right there.

Loosen the threaded hose end with an adjustable wrench or medium-large pliers. It shouldn't take much effort to do since that water supply is equipped with a rubber washer inside so it's easy to make a good seal. It's just like a garden hose, except smaller. The hose will hold still while the threaded end turns.

Thread on an add-a-line T fitting. Any plumbing section should have this and any competent associate at one of the big box stores or, even better, Ace Hardware will be able to point you toward the right kind of fitting. The one you want has to have a 3/8" compression FEMALE, and two 3/8" compression MALE ends.

Look at the fitting ends of the hoses. The one going to the toilet is the right kind already; your other line going to the diaper spray, peek into the end that threads onto the new T. If there's a washer in there, you won't need to bother with Teflon tape. The washer will do well enough to snug everything down and prevent leaks.

I know too much about having nut stuck in my water line.

• Paul

Don't take off the large nut next to the shutoff! I'm pretty sure you want to take off the top silver colored nut. I would hold the bottom nut with an open end wrench and turn the upper nut with another open wrench or channel locks, or vise grips (CCW)

• .

I would wrap a wash cloth around the nut and use vice grips to get it started. Be sure to hold the left side with your (left) hand while slowly turning.

Then a standard open end wrench.

open-end wrench OR channel-lock pliers .........................