Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 8 months ago

Living in an illegal studio in San Francisco and landlord was filming me taking shower at the door of my apartment.?

I live in an illegal studio unit which is considered uninhabitable by law, in San Francisco, CA. Since this place has no shower I have to hose myself down at the back door of the unit which is on fire exit stairs. Few days ago I noticed that my landlord planted a hidden camera and recording me showering there. (she agreed me to hose myself down there before). I took the camera to take it to the court as harassment evidence. Then the landlord's daughter trespassed into my unit and took the camera and ran away. I chased after her but could not get the camera back. We both called 911 and I got charged with theft and battery.

Do yo think this might be legal at all. I barely stepped out of my home at all.

If your answer was helpful, Thank you.

If you we an asshole sarcastic **** YOU TOO BITCHES.

Favorite Answer

There is no expectation of privacy on a fire escape. In San Francisco these are normally communal meaning shared between properties. Pretty stupid to take landlord's camera which presumably was there to monitor the entrance. I have one at my door, they are pretty standard.

However, I doubt very much that the court will convict you of theft as you were living there. The police charged you because they did not want to get involved. Just tell the court you did not want it to get wet or something.

The issue of your studio being illegal is completely separate. There are hundreds of thousands of illegal rentals in SF tucked away at the back of the older buildings. They are directly related to rent control; you can get five times as much rent from an illegal unit as you can from a legal unit. The court that addresses your theft will not care. It is a building code issue.

You can report your landlord to the city for having an illegal unit but the inspector will then close it down and you will need to leave.

It's not legal to shower outside without clothing. It's also not legal to rent the studio.

Why were you charged with theft and battery?

Here's what I think. You have posted ad nauseum that you are a personal trainer. Shower at the gym.

• ricky

Another snowflake bites the dust.

The reason you were charged and the landlord wasn't was because the Police enforce criminal law, not civil law.

• .

What home? You're living in an "illegal studio." Yes, it's illegal but it's going to be hard to prove. Find yourself a new place to live; preferably one that isn't "illegal."