Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentHealth Care · 7 months ago

Qualified dental nurse wages?

Is it too cheeky to ask a potential new employer (upon their request) to pay you anywhere between £10 to £12 p/h? The area is Buckinghamshire which is not quite London but still considerably close hence the hourly rate suggested (based on bills and rent I’m paying etc).

I don’t want to come across as if I’m asking for too much but at the same time I want to seem like I know-what-I’m-worth kind of thing. Does this seem fair?

• olivia

The report is designed to be 'a general guide to help practice owners in their pay determinations'. A survey conducted in summer 2013 elicited 1,342 responses. It found that on average, trainee dental nurses were paid £6.98 per hour and qualified dental nurses £9.98, with some variation according to NHS commitment.

• edward

I get paid the same amount as everyone else in my job title when they start. You are welcome to go somewhere else who will pay you more

• PAMELA

Yes, you tell them what you want they will tell you what they are offering, if you do not like that you are free to look else for work.

It is expected (in the US) to ask for a salary/wage during hiring negotiations. It goes something like this. They make an offer that includes the title, position responsibilities, and starting salary and perks. You look it over and make a counter offer (e.g., 10% more in salary and use of the company car). They accept and everyone is happy.

Can't help you with that in the UK, but my guess is that it's also expected of you there as well. You would do well to look up the average/median wages for positions similar to what you are interviewing for. It will give you some idea what you are worth to that company.

Asking too much as in covering your expenses is generally accepted as fair for if you get to little your not going to be able to cover expenses. You have a better chance to negotiate with more than with less.

Your bills and expenses are of no concern to a potential employer. You need to find out what the job pays on average in that area. If the going rate is £10 - £12 for someone with your experience, then yes, you can ask for it. If the rate is less, then no, you don't ask (again, your bills are immaterial).

• Tavy

What are they offering ?

• Kami7 months agoReport

The advert did not specify anything about the wage at all (which could either be a good or a bad thing)