Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 10 months ago

Is it acceptable in the audience's eyes for a female professional ballet dancer to have larger breasts for a ballet dancer?

Is it acceptable for a female professional ballet dancer to have a B or C cup bra size in the eyes of the audience, and also in the eyes of a ballet company, and why? What about professional dancers in other styles of dance?

I am not for one second saying that I think young aspiring ballet dancers should be resorting to unhealthy ways to reduce their breast size at all, because I think that is dangerous and not prudent. I am also not an aspiring dancer (anymore) but a recent secondary school graduate who used take ballet classes and is curious about this.

I agree that what the audience thinks about a dancer's body does not matter that much.

However, as dance genres such as ballet are a performing art, I was curious about what people think the majority of the audience expects.

I believe ballerinas are flat chested because they physically work hard and burn enormous amounts of calories. That and holding their arms overhead, I think.

They can't control it I think it's fine

The fact that you're asking this anonymously makes me wonder what your motive is.

• drip

I went to a small dance company concert. One of the dancers had huge breasts. They distorted her moves. It was completely distracting to watch her dance. It distracted from the whole dance. As mintchip said there are lines and form the audience doesn’t realize they are seeing.

To the posts that say because a women is thin they automatically will have small boobs, um no, incorrect. Sorry but what bunk. There are plenty of thin women with natural D cups

I don't see why it would. Ballet dancers tend to be small, which makes it easier for the guys to lift them. They also burn a lot of calories. Big boobs seem to inhibit some gymnastic moves, but I can't think of any dance moves that would be inhibited by boob size.

• mintchips49

It’s not about execution. It’s about the line the body makes in ballet.

• edward

I’ve danced with dozens of dancers before. All have smaller breasts, i’m pretty sure that it’s because of the diet they have, the sheer amount of activity they do every day and the way they work out

The body in ballet is not arbitrary in its demands. The body in ballet and other dance is your instrument. That instrument needs to be well made and in tune. In ballet, it’s all about the line your body makes. Curves disrupt that line. Line is mostly about your bone and muscle structure which starts at your head shape and goes down to your feet even including the length of your toes. A Stradivarius violin makes a more beautiful tone than a poorly made warped violin no matter how good the violinist is.

FYI there are many professional ballet dancers with a B cup and even a few that are C cups. Professional ballet dancers are all lean long muscle with very little body fat. That in itself reduces breast size. There have been some dancers who had all else in place and were D cups or larger who have had breast reduction surgery. That can be said about the general populous as well but action to reduce that is not as prevalent in the general population unless size is causing back problems ,

Most in the audience who don’t have a trained eye my say they don’t care about the shape of the dancer but in fact that rarely is true. They are drawn to the long lean line and automatically assume that the dancer who looks like that is better, more graceful, more delicate, more ethereal, more pleasing to watch.

• Cogito

I don't think anyone in the audience would care in the slightest.

But as virtually all female ballet dancers are naturally very slight and are extremely thin, it's unlikely that any would have much of a chest anyway.

Much of the female breast is fatty tissue so most slender ballerinas have small breasts. But if a ballet dancer is blesses with both talent and curves everyone should accept her.

• keerok

Just be comfortable with your body. Audience won't care. When doing ballet, let wardrobe worry about your breasts. When dancing anything else, let them be.