Survey: Do you adopt or purchase your animals from breeders? Why?

Favorite Answer

both

a lot of our pets are adopted/rescues but few were purchased and i wouldn't say from breeds but since they asked for money and we have no idea how the hell the animals got pregnant to begin with i guess we can label them as breeders but not like puppy mill type breeders.

all our bought pets were basically for companionship. we bought 2 dogs. 1 i bought myself because my gf at the time wanted a dog and i bought it for her for her bday. we did try to adopt but she wanted a puppy and due to the situation we were in young and living at home still i couldn't get a big dog especially since we already had 2 dogs and cats. the other dog my mom bought idk the whole story behind how they got the dog but i know it was to give our 1st dog a friend. he was abused by my aunties bf next door.

now that im older i try to adopt versus purchase but a lot of my animals in my hobbies have to be purchased such as my fish. people will rarely sell me fish in this hobby to adopt not in my state at least because i run salt water tanks which are not popular here most run fresh water. we haven't gotten any new pets though all our pets are fairly old we are downgrading as we have 4 dogs, 3 cats, 1 bird, and a bunch of fishes. too many pets for just 2 people to take care of supposed to be me, my sister and my dad and mom but my mom passed away a few months ago and my sister doesn't help us at home with anything. all she does is go to work ( one of the dogs is actually hers )

I adopt from rescue shelters.

i don't like animals like that

The dog I have now is the only dog I've ever had. And I got him cheap from a breeder because it was thought he had a birth defect ( one leg was too short).

Well, that issue has corrected itself and the dog is just fine. He is a fiercely loyal breed and has proven to be very effective as a watch and protection animal.

I bought both my dogs.

At the same time, from two breeders.

I knew the breeders, observed them carefully and liked their methods with the dogs.

I had both the pupsters checked out by my vet (who is a personal friend), and had the shots going as required.

Adoption may be good, but one never knows what glorious lies one could hear from the owner who wants to palm off a dog onto you.

Also, some adopted dogs sometimes do not settle into the new home very well.

I had one dog given to me as a gift when I was 15. Hes still alive today. Another dog I rescued from a shelter in 2014. And I had a stray cat I adopted in back in 2015. Sadly she passed away in March of this year.

All of my pets were given as gifts...

I recently purchased a dog from a breeder. Before then, I had always picked dogs up off the streets or gotten them from a humane society or animal shelter ...cats, too.

Now, a lot of humane societies and animal shelters have ridiculous requirements. One I looked at wanted the entire household and all the household pets to come to the shelter to visit. I'm not taking four old cats and two toddlers to a place with a bunch of strange animals. It seems like the shelters around my area are lodging mostly adult pit bulls, as well. I've know a few nice pit bulls, but I don't trust them overall ...especially with small kids in the house.

The breeder I purchased from also had tons of requirements, but more reasonable ones that actually made sense. I got my dog as an impressionable puppy ...and I got to meet the dog's parents and learn about their temperaments, too. I never saw myself as someone who would buy a dog, but it was the right decision this time around.

I've only had one dog named Cuddles my whole life. I lost her last year. I hope to get a puppy soon, and I hope Cuddles would understand 😭

I have done both.............