z asked in HealthMental Health · 6 months ago

When I get really overwhelmed, I physically can't move?

Occasionally, I'll need a good cry just like everyone else, and that's fine. But I find that if I'm talking to someone or get overwhelmed and start crying, my body will not allow me to move. The other day I was freaking out because my dog bit a piece of my chicken (alive) off and I felt that it was my fault. When I finally saw the wound, I just stood there. My mom kept telling me to go upstairs and grab her stuff so we could go to the vet, and I wanted to go do it because I wanted her to survive but I couldn't get myself to turn around and walk back into the house. It wasn't until I saw the chicken walking around and eating that I was able to get a little bit of control back and I could make myself move. I don't know if there's a technical term for this? I've been trying to look it up but all I get is "I can't move because of my depression", which I have, but this is different. It's like i just freeze up and all i can do is stare. If anyone has any idea what this could be, or if there might be an underlying medical problem, I'm all ears.

Favorite Answer

Mark is right, this does sound like a temporary state of shock..

if such thing happened this one time when you are seeing blood and injuries, then this is most probably a state of emotional shock..

however, if such a state becomes pervasive - meaning becomes more frequent and lasting longer than what perceived to be normal, then this could be 'catatonia'..

catatonia is a feature seen in Major Depression Disorder MDD, Schizophrenia and sometimes in Bipolar Disorder in the depression phase.. Catatonia is an abnormality of movement and behavior arising from a disturbed mental state..

it may involve repetitive or purposeless overactivity, or catalepsy (loss of conscious) resistance to passive movement, and negativism.. however in depression, catatonia is often presented with a state of immobility and/or stupor (near-unconsciousness or insensibility)..

and while catatonia is often associated with a mental illness, it can be triggered by a medication and also by a number of medical conditions, such as Hypothyroidism and Cushing's..

if you are under follow up with a psychiatrist, make sure you inform him/her about your problem, because such catatonia could be related to the medications given.. if not, then you probably should see a doctor at a local clinic (GP or family doctor) about your problem..

often the GP would investigate for common medical problems before considering a pure mental health problem.. and he/she may refer you to another doctor for further management and follow up..

all the best..

• Mark

That's called shock. It comes as 'fight, flight or freeze.'

It affects different people in different ways. For me, my mind takes a very brief vacation, and doesn't remember things that well, but will highlight some aspects of whatever brought on the shock. My face has a totally stunned look throughout.