z asked in HealthMental Health · 6 months ago

When I get really overwhelmed, I physically can't move?

Occasionally, I'll need a good cry just like everyone else, and that's fine. But I find that if I'm talking to someone or get overwhelmed and start crying, my body will not allow me to move. The other day I was freaking out because my dog bit a piece of my chicken (alive) off and I felt that it was my fault. When I finally saw the wound, I just stood there. My mom kept telling me to go upstairs and grab her stuff so we could go to the vet, and I wanted to go do it because I wanted her to survive but I couldn't get myself to turn around and walk back into the house. It wasn't until I saw the chicken walking around and eating that I was able to get a little bit of control back and I could make myself move. I don't know if there's a technical term for this? I've been trying to look it up but all I get is "I can't move because of my depression", which I have, but this is different. It's like i just freeze up and all i can do is stare. If anyone has any idea what this could be, or if there might be an underlying medical problem, I'm all ears.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Mark is right, this does sound like a temporary state of shock..

if such thing happened this one time when you are seeing blood and injuries, then this is most probably a state of emotional shock..

however, if such a state becomes pervasive - meaning becomes more frequent and lasting longer than what perceived to be normal, then this could be 'catatonia'..

catatonia is a feature seen in Major Depression Disorder MDD, Schizophrenia and sometimes in Bipolar Disorder in the depression phase.. Catatonia is an abnormality of movement and behavior arising from a disturbed mental state..

it may involve repetitive or purposeless overactivity, or catalepsy (loss of conscious) resistance to passive movement, and negativism.. however in depression, catatonia is often presented with a state of immobility and/or stupor (near-unconsciousness or insensibility)..

and while catatonia is often associated with a mental illness, it can be triggered by a medication and also by a number of medical conditions, such as Hypothyroidism and Cushing's..

if you are under follow up with a psychiatrist, make sure you inform him/her about your problem, because such catatonia could be related to the medications given.. if not, then you probably should see a doctor at a local clinic (GP or family doctor) about your problem..

often the GP would investigate for common medical problems before considering a pure mental health problem.. and he/she may refer you to another doctor for further management and follow up..

all the best..

• Login to reply the answers
  • Mark
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

That's called shock. It comes as 'fight, flight or freeze.'

It affects different people in different ways. For me, my mind takes a very brief vacation, and doesn't remember things that well, but will highlight some aspects of whatever brought on the shock. My face has a totally stunned look throughout.

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.