Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 10 months ago

Can your married surname be used on your child's Death Certificate or is it required your born name???(Living in the USA )?

Married to the child's father.

• Judith
    Favorite Answer

The form usually states what they want. I'm a genealogist and the death certificates I have ask for the mother's MAIDEN name (her full name at her birth) - NOT the name of the mother at the time of the child's death.

Also I worked for Social Security for 32 years and literally saw thousands of death certificates which showed the mother's name at the time of the mother's birth.

Your legal name goes on it. Whatever that is at the time of the death of the child.

YOUR name doesn't appear on the child's DEATH certificate.

• Judith

Actually every death certificate I've ever seen asks for the names of the parents of the deceased. And since I worked for social security for 32 years and am a genealogist, I've seen thousands of death certificates.

• Foofa

It’ll be whatever your legal name was at the time your child died. I’m so sorry for your loss.