draiden asked in SportsRunning · 6 months ago

Can flat feet cause knee soreness when running?

I jog almost everyday and every time, my knees get extremely sore. Its always my knees specifically, even though i feel like i have enough stamina to run for a lot longer. Ive been contemplating soles for my feet as i have severe flat feet, but im not sure if my feet are the ones causing the problem. Any help would be appreciated

Favorite Answer

Yes: If you have flat feet, and are running in shoes not designed for flat feet, you can get sore knees or other orthopedic problems.

If you have flat feet, chances are you are an overpronator, and you should be wearing "motion control" shoes.

I suggest you go to a store specializing in serving runners, and discuss your injuries. Bring your current shoes with you, since the wear patterns can provide some information.

I also suggest you check your library for "Lore Of Running", by Tim Noakes. There are sections on injury diagnosis, and injury prevention.

I find that if you go to a specialty running shoe store, they are well educated on the body and can fit you well. The whole body is connected, so your flat feet are possibly causing poor running form/posture, which would likely be affecting your knees.

• .

Yes, absolutely. You can read a bit about it here, and research other sources related to flat feet and running https://www.runsociety.com/health-injuries/how-doe...

A good pair of stability shoes are likely in your future.

Source(s): Over pronator
  • Adam D

It is entirely possible that your feet are the cause of the problem (see below). I would advise against buying insoles without first consulting your doctor, you could easily cause other problems or make things worse.