what would cause a mother to need therapy for herself?

I have a friend who adopted some children recently and lately has been posting a lot about how she needs therapy. Her kids are not in therapy but she said she needs it for herself since adopting. What would cause a mother to need therapy? I'm wondering how I can be a good friend to her but don't want to pry to much.

• JetDoc
    Favorite Answer

Raising kids can be stressful. Especially if the mother didn't get the chance to start from the birth of the child. If she adopted "some children" meaning more than one at a time, the stress can be even worse.

I agree with Jill - publicly posting about needing therapy is an opening to talking with her privately about what is going on, and being a listening ear for her.

• Cammie

A mother would need therapy for any reason any other person would need therapy.

• Jill

If she's posting about it then it's not private. Asking her if she wants to talk about it or needs any help would not be prying.