If I am legally married, do I have access to my spouse's parent's money?

How much am I entitled to my spouse's parent's money? I heard that Brody Jenner didn't get legally married because he didn't want her GF have access to his mother's (Linda Thompson's) money.

Update:

Sorry typo:

x her GF

o her GF

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 11 months ago
    Favorite Answer

No. You're confusing different issues. When people marry they do have legal rights and could be entitle to 50% of their spouse's assets if they divorced, depending on the property laws of the state. That is why people with significant wealth often require prenuptial agreements that limit the less deathly spouse's claims. Parents' assets/money would not be involved until the parent died and only if they left their estate to their child.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    11 months ago

You have no legal right to your spouse's parents' money, and neither does your spouse. She may get access to her parents' money once they die, and she inherits it. After inheritance, then it may be accessed through joint bank accounts in case that money is deposited there. Also you may be able to get access to the money if you get divorced, and you get support payments.

• 11 months ago

I would think, as an adult you aren't "entitled" to access ANY parents' money - yours or your partner's - you should be able to stand (or fall) by your own actions and choices.

IF the parents give money to your partner or to you, that is solely up to them to decide, you are not entitled to any "gift" from them. You certainly are not entitled to it by the fact they have money of their own.

Looking for it makes you seem like a gold digger, wanting a relationship just for the money.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

You have no right to any of your spouses parent's money, what made you think that you would?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Athena
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

None.

Your wife's parents have no legal obligation to or for you.

If they die without a will then your wife is one of the beneficiaries as their child and next living relative. However you are NOT a relative only a married relation. In most states the inheritance is her property only.

• Jerry
    Lv 6
    11 months ago

You aren't "entitled" to any of it! It's THEIR money, not yours, or your husbands - THEIRS!

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

You have absolutely no entitled to your spouse's parents' money.

You may not have legal entitlement to your spouse's money. WHERE?

• 11 months ago

Nope, you don't, unless your spouse or your spouse's parents GIVE you that access.

• mokrie
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

If your spouse has living parents, and unless they gave him or her power of attorney, then neither of you have a right to access their money.

• Lili
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

No, why would you? It's their money, not yours and not even your spouse's while they are alive.

If they die and leave their money to your spouse, in some states you'd still be technically excluded from sharing in any of it (unless your spouse wanted you to) even if the state has community property laws. Inheritances are not necessarily subject to those laws.

You would need to check with a lawyer regarding the laws on that in your state.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.