How do I stop my son from getting so angry?

I have a son (late elementary age) who has severe anger problems. He has been sent home from school many times for raging (he even got expelled from another school for this). Whenever he gets sent home or suspended, I will ground him and take away all his privileges, which results in him screaming, cursing, and... show more I have a son (late elementary age) who has severe anger problems. He has been sent home from school many times for raging (he even got expelled from another school for this). Whenever he gets sent home or suspended, I will ground him and take away all his privileges, which results in him screaming, cursing, and banging on the doors/walls even more. Since the school year begins in 5 days, I'm worried about dealing with these struggles again. According to the school staff, his rages start up whenever something doesn't go his way, or when he has to do something he doesn't want to do. I've noticed that at home as well. From what I'm seeing, he needs to learn that nobody can have everything they want in life. He is well-behaved when things go his way, but he becomes a demon when he doesn't get what he wants. He becomes very rude, hateful, and violent when he hears something he doesn't like.

How would you deal with this type of behavior?
9 answers 9