Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicJazz · 11 months ago

What am I doing wrong? Do I suck?

I ve been playing trumpet since 5th grade, and I ve always been 1st trumpet since 8th grade when i decided to not redo a test and brought me down to 2nd trumpet. In high school, freshman year I played 3rd trumpet with some of my other friends. I am now a sophomore and I am still 3rd trumpet! Everyone else moved up to 2nd trumpet. What did I do wrong? Do I suck? How can I get better parts? How can I move up?

• Kyle

this is something you can ask your music teacher too. i was in a similar situation. especially for jazz big band. i was good in middle school, then in high school i started in the lowest band level, and only got to the highest in junior and senior year, but i had to switch from alto my main to tenor, because there were other alto players better than me.

that's just the way it goes. it's not anything you're doing wrong, it's just the director wants the strongest members in their bands to sound the best. first char isn't always everything, sure they may get the melody all the time, or maybe some solos, but without the other chair positions, you don't get those cool harmony sounds. sure i would have loved to play first alto, but when i was 2nd Tenor, i got some cool parts that included me learning how to double on flute, and on soprano sax as well. and in that chart, i even got a solo and another soli with a trumpet player as well.

Take some private lessons from a fine qualified teacher - degree in music, major in trumpet. Maybe a few is enough - but once you see how much help they are, you will be addicted!!

Added - BTW - we all go thru periods of self-doubt. I have been a professional flutist in the NY area since 1973, and this year needed hand surgery. Everything hurt, was stiff, and I was desperately adding padding and plastic supports to my hand, the flute - ANYTHING - so I could play. Still hurt - still sloppy. So we went to Europe for 2 1/2 weeks. I came home - sullenly got my flute out - the first day I was rusty - and everything has healed now, and I sound like ME again. Took self-teaching, discipline, but I got it back. Some lessons with a good teacher - you will be better than ever.

• John

How do you get to Carnegie Hall?