Tyuanna asked in PetsFish · 10 months ago

i think my goldfish drowned and im scared?

she hasn t move for five hours, and she is limp. im scared she drowned in the water 🙁

pls help i only had her in the tank for a day and i don t want to lose another one

The fish is dead unless the mouth and gills are still moving. Even if they are it is most likely beyond saving. For this to happen in one day I would check for the following. 1. Was the fish healthy when you bought it? Was it swimming upright and active, did it look strong, and brightly colored, was it in a tank with dead fish at the store? Never buy a fish from a tank with dead fish in it. 2. Did you bring it home and just dump it in your tank? You have to make sure the water in the tank is the same temperature as the water in the bag, so open the top of the bag so the air gets in and float the bag upright in the tank for about 30 minutes before you let the fish into your tank. Also you can mix a little of the tank water into the water in the bag. The water in your tank should not be fresh out of the tap. It should sit until it has gotten room temperature and the chlorine has evaporated. 3. Did you use soap or detergent to clean your tank? Don t ever do this, just use water and clean paper towels or a brand new, rinsed sponge. 4. Was the tank sitting in a window with the sun directly on it? That would be too hot, just like leaving a dog in a hot car. There are many other things you need to know to make your fish live a long time, things that could kill your fish in a couple of weeks or months. They need a really big tank, for example. Try again after you have read and learned about what they need, and I am sorry about this one.

If the gills have stopped, then my condolenses.

If not, change some water. I use distilled water, or treated faucet water (Got a water treatment from the pet store). You could have ammonia buildup.

You could also have shocked the fish with a temperature change, or not have enough aeration in the water.

I have my goldfish in a 20 gallon tank (he's about 7 inches from lip to end of tail). 10 Gallons is the minimum for smaller goldfish.

If you have a lot of ornaments, your fish may have been pinned. I had one pass because it got stuck, the gills couldn't open.

Hope this helps

• Ocimom

Fish can't drown. Your fish was sick when you got it. Its dead now. And if your tank is not at least 20-30 gallons for the rest of the fish you have, then they too will be dead in a short time. Goldfish need a LOT of space with a strong filter as they are messy fish.

• Marley10 months agoReport

Tank size depends on the fish. I move my goldfish from a 10 gallon to a 20 when he got too big. Also depends on how many fish.
      Usually it's 1 gallon per inch of fish. With koi or goldfish, I've heard up to 3 gallons per inch of fish.

Of course fish can drown if the water is not holding enough oxygen.....you need to start from scratch. Read about how to keep healthy fish. Do your research.

Could have been from an ammonia spike if it was a new tank, or bad water quality

Another death attributed to Dihydridemonoxide

Fish cannot drown in water. They couldn’t have drowned, so maybe you fed it a bad food or you fed it to much fish food, or the water is dirty.

• ?

It is impossible for a fish to drown. They dont have lungs, so they cant suffer hypoxia caused by the lungs filling with water. They can suffocate if the oxygen saturation in the water is too low, but it woumd have to be a very small volume if water for this to happen in a day. There must have been another reason for your fish dying.

Was the water in the tank properly conditioned? Sounds like what happens when people put fish in water fresh from the tap.

If it died, it would have been from some other cause, not drowning.