Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesNew York City · 1 year ago

HOW TO DEAL WITH AGGRESSIVE PANHANDLERS :(?

Back in a time when the streets of Manhattan and New York City was dark and violent, it correlated over to current day today although not as bad as it used to be, I was walking in Times Square the other day and either a Spanish or Black guy offered me his music which he makes which I ignored which incensed him to ask me where I’m from, which I ignored again, than she asks me for the THIRD TIME, “are you deaf my *****”, first off I’m not even black or dark skinned, second if I ignore you once that is enough of a signal to realize I am not willing to talk to you! Than, he asks me “do you have a problem with me”, thankfully Times Square is packed with rich tourists who were observing all of this, but who knows what would happen if we were in this aggressive panhandlers neighborhood, a gun or a knife could’ve been pulled out for simply ignoring one, its scary to think about...

• james
    1 year ago

Normally we kick them out of our way here. But never lay a hand on one. They can then beat the shat out of you. Wait this is Asia.

• 1 year ago

Just toughen up & stand your ground or ignore it

• Mike
    1 year ago

Times Sq. is full of plain clothes cops. Just tell the guy if he keeps bothering you, you are calling the police, and walk away.

• John
    1 year ago

Walk fast and don't look back.....

• Sharon
    1 year ago

Maybe you should have just said, "Sorry, I prefer Mozart" when he offered his music. He couldn't accuse you of ignoring him, and might have been surprised enough for you to walk away before he responded

• 1 year ago

I think that YOU should stay out of NY. You are not happy here, and we are not thrilled to have you, either. I wonder if there is anywhere that you think is wonderful.

• 1 year ago

He could have pulled a gun or a knife just for ignoring him as well...regardless of the presence of the crowd.