Why do I get out of breath so easily?

I am 18 and simply can never breath, I thought it was because I was unfit but I no go gym and do weights as well as 30 minutes minimum of cardio a day. I have been to the doctor s and they just give me a pump which doesn t work and keep highering the doses. I ve been on multiple different pumps over the past year due to none working. I simple was just laughing and I couldn t breath, walking is awful and I can never breath, I also get out of breath just sitting there doing nothing.

Because you smoked Grandpa's pipe

There's all sorts of possible reasons. The docs would need to check each one until they find the cause. Possibilities include: asthma (seems most likely if you are given a pump); hypothyroid; anemia; heart abnormalities; respiratory infection; and COPD.

There are several potential causes of your breathlessness. Your doctor can order blood tests to check for vitamin B12, vitamin B9 and iron deficient anaemia as well as checking your TSH level to see if you have hypothyroidism. An ECG/EKG will check to see if your heart is functioning normally and spirometry will check your lung capacity and make sure you have your blood pressure taken while you're there.

It's worth asking for a chest x-ray to make sure everything's in order. I walked around with severe pneumonia for 3 or 4 months and I was told I was wasting doctors' time and it was just anxiety. A chest x-ray finally showed such severe infection that the specialist suspected TB and I was treated in isolation with multiple antibiotics. My right lung was completely filled with infection and part of my left lung so I only had 2/3 of one lung working. I didn't have a cough though or a temperature and my chest sounded fine through a stephoscope.

As asthma pumps haven't been working for you and you can manage to do a minimum of 30 minutes cardio a day you also need to consider whether your symptoms are due to anxiety rather than having a physical cause.

Periods of breathlessness like that are not healthy, because over time you will be giving yourself brain damage. I'm not trying to scare you but if you want the truth then that is the truth. Now I am no doctor but I would go to the er because in any point if you feel like you cannot breath, it is worth getting looked at. If you are, on the other hand, still breathing but you feel like you're having trouble sometimes, then I would still see a doctor. But if that's the case it could be anxiety. Good luck.

• Autumn

Shortness of breath won't cause brain damage.

Thegoobman is right, random Yahoos can't give you useful medical advice over the internet (especially when you have already seen a doctor).

Having said that it could be asthma or some kind of lung problem. It sounds like you are doing enough exercise so you should at least have normal lung function.

You should ask your doctor for more details or see another one and get a second opinion. Lungs are important and if they aren't functioning properly you really should get professional medical care.

if the dr. examined you and did test and still doesn't know, what makes you think strangers on the internet will?