jack
jack asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 year ago

How big of an impact does the freshness of food have on its overall flavor ? Also can you answer 2nd question in description?

And since some foods lose freshness after 1-4 weeks, is it wise to stock up on them beforehand on the possibility of me needing them or is it wise to buy them right when I need them so that I Have higher probability of using them before they loose freshness ?

• james
    1 year ago

A lot. Green beans will go soft in about 3 hours, shelled peas will start to harden in about that time. corn on the cob will start into dent. Other crops white radish carrot, potatoes, can set out all day. But will soften over night. Setting out. Greens will start to wilt in about a hour. This all affects flavor. Spices are best cut just before cooking & smell them to see how strong they are. Unless store bought spice in a jar. This is why women like to shop of a morning at the market as farmers bring produce in fresh. So they can take it home & put on ice or put wet burlap over produce to keep cool for the day. Fresh meat & seafood should always be chilled out as soon as possible when bought. Why I shop with a bag with ice in it when buying meat or seafood. It can spoil fast if not chilled. This is why when the farmers come in with there carts. They know the women will look over each piece of produce they buy & like to shop of a morning. By afternoon much produce is starting to go soft. Meat needs be fresh. Why it is butchered on one side of the street & sold on the other side. to avoid spoilage. Sea food is best to buy at daylight when the boats come in & put on ice then & there in your bag. Do not shop to long. Get the food home & cool. So it does not spoil or loose flavor. A hour can make a big difference. Why when I shop I take 2 doubled canvas shopping bags with me. They can be dampened. & with a bottle of ice in each. Keep the food you buy cool. I also have a cooler box I put ice in bottled. to keep things cool if put in my vehicle. Heat kills the taste of food & it can spoil very fast. So buy fresh for best. I am one of the better off. I have electric & both a refrigerator & a deep freeze here. So can store food longer. As well as our own garden produce & meat. But for most here good & fresh is a problem. As less than 50% have electric & fewer have refrigeration. This does affect flavor. As many things need salted, sugar cured, pickled to remain safe to eat even the next day.

• 1 year ago

Very fresh foods are usually better but as long as the food is good (has not gone bad) the difference in taste and quality is minimal and usually not detectable. Many cooks will say this is not true but they don't really know and want to seen as discriminating.

1 year ago

It depends on the food - freshness is really important with bread but hardly matters at all with potatoes. Also, some people never get to try some foods that are really fresh. Eggs that were laid that morning are nicer than any you'd buy in a shop. I've only once managed to grow sweet corn successfully but it tasted nothing like the tasteless stuff available in shops.

I don't really “stock up” on food at all (I don't have space) and I certainly wouldn't buy food that would deteriorate before I used it.

• 1 year ago

"Freshness" is often over rated and doesn't apply to a LOT of foods.

In my mind, freshness is important when eating things like lettuces, greens, etc.

If you are buying them in the grocery, particularly in the winter in upper midwest, ANYTHING sitting in the produce aisle is already a week old and lots of it is much older because its shipped from so far away or came from cold storage.

Freshness doesn't mean squat in onions, potatoes, dry beans, rices, dried pasta, etc, etc, etc.

• Janet
    1 year ago

It depends on the food.

Some foods, the difference is huge, and others not so much.

For instance: corn starts to convert its sugar into starch AS SOON AS it is picked. And the longer it has been off the cornstalk, the less sweet it will be.

Many other vegetables, such as carrots and green peas are noticeably less tasty if it has been a while since they were picked. Even broccoli tastes better and more tender when it is freshly-picked.

You can also notice a difference between various fruits picked locally, or within a day's drive, and those that are shipped hundreds/thousands of miles to the food store. Fruits for long-distance shipping are usually picked still unripe, and so they never develop the full flavor that happens when they are left on the tree/vine until they are ready to be eaten.

Also, in terms of better nutrition, vitamins do breakdown over time, the longer the food has been sitting on the store shelf.

The best way to eat veggies is to grow them yourself. Second best is to buy them from a local farm at the farmer's market.

1 year ago

Freshness means fresh picked from your own garden or the garden of a nearby farmer. Eggs, layed the same day.

PS: Your system eats the bird. You can't store up freshness. Restaurants get much better food across the board--if they pay for it.

1 year ago

Not freshness but correctness...

what I mean by that is this years cool summer and the need to dole out berries vs wait and dump 90% of the crop at once on the supply chain meant the first third of the crops were super tart. They were super fresh but super tart. For best correct flavor, they should have stayed on the vine longer. Ideal picking time is a bigger issue where cans actually have the advantage. But once entropy begins...

it isn't getting any better. Being cut from input, the vine, they begin to decay. Maybe someone can say something like pears are best when they look almost rotted but most things are best at that ideal moment after being picked- or ripped with Ethelyn gas at a Costco warehouse.

Only buy what you need for about a week or so or you'll be throwing away alot. You can preserve like jams, freeze, or can or just buy frozen or canned. There's no reason to stock up on fresh produce because it will go bad. Unless you happen to be craving 16 pounds of grapes this week.

• paul
    1 year ago

food shopping once a week whats so hard about that