Best Hotel Discount rates for Seniors, AAA or AARP?

• In

The discount for AAA and AARP are the same. Sign up for one or more hotel loyalty programs and book online in advance after shopping the travel sites. Make more than one reservation with different hotels Check a day or two before your trip to see if there are any last minute sales. Cancel the hotel rooms you don't want. I should add that the government rate is generally much higher than the regular rate.

• RP

It depends on the hotel chain. There is no consistency across brands.

I've found that at the moderately-priced places I stay at, rates are completely discretionary, and if there is a discount, it will be the same no matter what qualification one has (unless they are associated with the particular chain, like they are an employee of Hilton, for example). I can walk up to a Motel 6 that says $49 a night on the sign, and that's already the discounted rate from their list price. Being a Senior over 60 technically gets a discount, but that only brings the full price down to $49. Same with military, AAA, or whatever else one may have.

READ THE LITERATURE FROM THOSE COMPANIES TO FIND OUT..

The discounts are the same, 10% off of the rack rates. In some places that is NOT the best rates.

Either provide good discounts rated, usually 10-15%

AARP usually has the higher discounts, but it depends on the hotel or motel you're staying at. The Days Inn chain offers a 20% discount on room rates to seniors. All they have to do is show their card at check-in.

• Eva

They are usually equal.

• rick

My lady friend calls for reservations asking for AAA or AARP rates. I cold call. We both get the same rates. It's a rip-off. Cold call, get a rate, and then ask for a senior discount. Maybe 10% of the time you will get a couple of dollars knocked off.

Source(s): 40 years in the travel industry