Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 4 months ago

Living in my apartment in Minnesota for over one year, with a licensed service animal on file. Am I responsible for replacing the carpet?

I was there for almost two years and had a service animal on file with the apartment management. They are coming after me for almost $1300 for carpet replacement. Is there a Minnesota law for mandatory carpet replacement if you have pets?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

The laws regarding carpets in Minnesota are similar to other states. The projected lifespan of a carpet is considered 7 years, so the damages you owe depend on the age of the carpet. If it is seven years old, damages or not, the carpet is considered outdated and you owe nothing... it falls under normal wear and tear and should be replaced with or without your dog's damages.. If it is 5 years old on a $700 carpet, you can be charged a prorated amount, being $100 a year, in other words, $200 on a 5-year-old carpet.

If you cannot reach an agreement with the landlord, it may have to be settled in court. My personal opinion is that if the dog damaged the carpet, you ought to be fully responsible for the cost... but the law is the law and the above summary is accurate. A well-cared-for carpet, protected by runners on high-traffic areas, with no pets, can last much much longer than 7 years.

• R P
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Yes, absolutely, you are responsible for the cost to repair any damage done by your service animal. There is no law that exempts you from liability for your service animal.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

If your animal damaged the carpet you have to pay for it. End of story.

• 4 months ago

Service animals aren't pets. However, if your animal (or you) damaged the carpet, then you are responsible for the cost of repairing or replacing it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

is thte carpet damaged?

• 4 months ago

There is no mandatory carpet replacement. It falls under damages. If your dog damaged the carpet, then you are responsible to pay for a replacement, or at least a portion of it. After only two years of living there, the carpet should have been left in the exact same condition as when you moved in. $1,300 is nothing considering the cost of carpet these days. $1300 would not go far at all so, quit yr beefing and pay up. It is TOTALLY reasonable.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • 4 months ago

doesn't matter if is a service animal or pet, you are responsible for all damages/cleaning.

unless you had is professionally cleaned,they likely can charge you for cleaning at minimum.

you don't mention if it was soiled/ripped.

if its beyond cleaning, you can only be charged the depreciated value. If a carpet has a 7 year life span and it was brand new when you moved in, you can be charged 5/7th of the cost if it needs to be replaced.

NOTE: high quality carpet may have a longer life expectancy......my carpets are 19-31 years old and still functional...

• SimplytheFACTS
      Lv 7
      4 months agoReport

if there was a law, it would no be based on how long an animal was there...allergens are present day 1

• LILL
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

No. The landlord only has to prove carpet damage. The tenant will need to prove that it wasn't her pet that caused the damage.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Is it true that your service animal did poop and pee on the carpets? If so, then you should replace them. BUT that does not mean that you can replace them with clean / new carpets and save money, perhaps alot of money.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

They would have to prove your pet caused the damage I would think.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.