Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 4 months ago

My vaccinated child still got the measles?

I vaccinated my daughter at the age of one as recommended by my healthcare provider, 4 months after receiving the vaccine my daughter fell ill and after a recent doctors visit it was determined to be the measles. Why did the vaccine not prevent the illness?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Justin
    Lv 7
    4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Most literature states that the vaccine is 93% effective after the first dose and 97% effective after the second dose, which is usually given just before starting school, but may actually be given shortly after the first dose, (and sometimes is given at that age if the young infant is likely to be traveling).

This sounds really good and reliable until you realize that a 7% failure rate is still tens of thousands of people and measles is highly contagious, (90% of people become infected from just casual contact).

The good news is that now your daughter will have a true natural immunity and no need for future boosters.

Why do vaccines have a 'failure rate' at all? The technology producing them isn't perfect. They can be improperly stored or handled, poorly administered, or the body just doesn't respond by producing effective antibodies or enough of them to halt the progression of the infection as typically expected.

• Roddy
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

The MMR vaccine needs multiple doses to be fully effective. The first dose should be given at 3 months old, with subsequent ones a month or two apart.

Since you waited until your daughter was a year old before giving her the protection of the vaccine, it is quite likely that she caught meales naturally before being vaccinated.

Measles takes several days between being caught and showing symptoms. The vaccine takes up to 2 weeks to be effective, so there is a cross-over period when she can actually catch measles before the vaccine has time to protect her.

The vaccine itself CANNOT give one measles (nor mumps or rubella) but it might result in mild symptoms for a few days a short while after being given - this is NOT the disease itself, but a manifestation of the body developing its defenses.

• 4 months ago

It happens sometimes it doesn't work

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

The theory of vaccine assumes that the child has a normal immune system. Vaccines not working well can be a sign of various hematological disorders.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

Understand Vaccine first, They are given to make the body detect and take counter measure in case of actual infection.

As they are mutating / changing, old counter measure that body knew when vaccine was introduced in the body does not work.

Body has to fight again, and produce new counter measure for the infection.

Its the same reason,

A infect B,

A develop immunity for that infection,

Mutation

B infect A,

A gets infected again.

• 4 months ago

WHICH measles vaccine did she get. She probably got the rubella, NOT the red measles vaccine. If she had red measles and survived, she's immunized for life. Ask her pediatrician WHICH measles vaccine she got.

• Roddy
      Lv 7
      4 months agoReport

There are separate vaccines for each disease but these are not normally recommended since they are given a month or so apart and thus leave the infant unprotected agains some of the diseases for much longer than with the combined shot.

• 4 months ago

Obviously, nobody here knows. Why are you asking the internet instead of your daughter's pediatrician?

• Susie
    Lv 6
    4 months ago

No vaccine is 100%. I thought everyone knew that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.