onthe45 asked in TravelUnited KingdomLondon · 10 months ago

Question about London buses?

It's a long time since I travelled on a London bus and I was just wondering do they still accept cash on London buses for paying for tickets? Or do they only accept Oyster Cards these days? Also, where can you buy credit for Oyster Cards apart from tube stations?

Favorite Answer

Nope - you can only travel on a bus with an Oyster or contactless payment card, or valid Travelcard.

You can top up at many newsagents / corner shops, and online

• andy

London buses are now cashless

• PAMELA

No, no cash is accepted on london buses now, you can get an oyster card in many shops, and get top ups done in shops too.You can also pay with a contactless card if you have one.

• Clive

No cash - London buses have been cashless since 2014. You can top up Oystercards at tube stations and at any shop displaying "Oyster Ticket Stop" - these will mostly be newsagents. Even easier, if you have a contactless debit or credit card, that will work so you have no topping up to think about.

To make this work, all bus trips are one flat fare of £1.50. There is now also a Hopper fare - if you get on any more buses within an hour, they are free, and the electronics will work all that out for you. So no extra fares if you need to change buses to get to where you want to go. You don't need to do anything about this, you just get it automatically.

Which gives me a great shopping cheat - there are a number of supermarkets 10 minutes by bus away from me, and the bus goes every 10 minutes. If I can whizz round a supermarket in half an hour or so, I get an automatic free ride home. Good, innit?

London buses have been cashless since 2014, Oyster cards can be topped up in many shops, or you can pay with a contactless credit/debit card.

No cash- oyster card or No contact credit card only.

Oyster Ticket shops

https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/oyster-ticket-stops