Anonymous

Career Choice Advice - Medicine?

I’m a 15 y/o female that’s starting my sophomore year of high school in a few days. Ive always has very good grades (4.25 gpa freshman year). I’ve recently had an idea to become a surgeon because of a show called Greys Anatomy. This is probably not a smart way to choose a career but i thought it was very interesting career choice and i KNOW that being a surgeon isn’t going to be anything like the show. I’m kind of scared to choose this career because i know i’m going to have to memorize many operations and stuff and i feel like i’m not going to be able to get all the information in my head as fast as i need to. I’m currently thinking of general surgery. I’m very worried about this because if i choose to become a surgeon i’m going to have to spend many years learning and training and i’m scared i’m going to fail. Any advice?

Favorite Answer

Advice: It is great to have dreams but don't fool yourself into thinking you can make-- or need to make -- any true career choice at 15 or 18. If you want to be a surgeon, great! Start by focusing on taking a lot of science classes so you get a feel for how well you understand and like the subjects because you'll be doing a lot of them in college. If your school has Anatomy & Physiology, take it. If there are opportunities for you to volunteer (usually age 16) at a hospital, do it. Talk to local MDs about shadowing.

Just understand that are are about 15 places over the next 15 years where you will have the chance to change your mind and or you will be forced to change your plans. About 95% of all high school kids who think they want to become doctors don't end up with an MD. That information isn't to dissuade you, but to help you understand that millions of kids watched ER, House, or Gray Anatomy or a dozen other shows and thought they'd be doctors.

Your goal right now is to get good grades and get into college. Then you will start your med school prerequisites. In about 4 1/2 years from now (half way through your sophomore year of college) you will have a very good idea of whether you are still interested in pursing a medical career and if you have a chance of getting into a U.S. program or not. If you do move forward, you'll take the MCAT, apply to several med schools, etc. Then you'll spend four more years in medical school and get a surgical rotation. If you still want to do surgery, you'll apply for a surgical residency. You may or may not get one. If you do, then you can become a surgeon at about age 30 (after residency and fellowships).

Best of luck in whatever you do!

Yes don’t worry about that right now, because that is at least 10 years away. Take it realistically one step at a time, high school, take all the AP science you can, start volunteering, college, get top grades in pre med courses as a minimum, do volunteering, shadowing and research. Feel free to change your mind as you evolve too...no shame or guilt in doing so.

It’s okay to change your mind. Reach for your highest goal and make adjustments as you go. I know of a student who went to medical school at Brown University for two years, and when he didn’t like it as much as he thought, he changed directions in school to pursue something that better suit his interests. Good luck 👍🏼