Today I looked online for a local diner with breakfast prices, I ate pancakes, but they cost $3.00 more than listed, is this a common thing?

This is not the first time it's happened to me and it's so frustrating. Instead of spending $12 for breakfast for two (I treated my mother), I ended up paying $18 plus tip. The diner was more pricy than others in my area, but I was mislead by the online menu, once again. Do I need to check the restaurant... show more This is not the first time it's happened to me and it's so frustrating. Instead of spending $12 for breakfast for two (I treated my mother), I ended up paying $18 plus tip. The diner was more pricy than others in my area, but I was mislead by the online menu, once again. Do I need to check the restaurant menu on several websites, including the delivery sites? Should I have mentioned it to the waitress? Has this happened to you?
Update: I didn't leave the restaurant when the menu listed a higher price than the ooonline menu because we were already seated, but next time I will.
Update 2: The restaurant doesn't have their own website, I looked at a delivery website for their prices.