Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 6 months ago

Drug testing for marijuana?

So quick question... let’s say an individual takes a trip to a state such as Colorado and smokes some weed. They then come back home and are drug tested at their job. What happens if weed is found in this person system? I mean, they haven’t committed an illegal act or anything.

And no, the individual is not me lol. Strictly all hypothetical, but imo a good question.

Favorite Answer

hypothetically they get fired for breaking company rules. Companies are allowed to set rules more strict than the minimum requirements of the law.

Furthermore, marijuana is still illegal under federal law. Even though many states have legalized it and the feds are essentially allowing it without enforcement, its still against the law. So in situations where drug-free employment is required by federal law you can lose you job for smoking even if it doesn't violate state law.

At work, it's not about whether the act was illegal when you did it. All that matters is the results.

Even if you are employed in a state that allows recreational use, employers CAN legally prohibit use by employees. In fact, employers can legally prohibit use of alcohol.

It might have been legal while you were in CO, but if company policy prohibits employing those who use drugs, including weed, you just chose to lose your job.

• Shilo

It depends on how the employer feels about testing positive for Marijuana as to what happens.

Companies, even in weed friendly states, can demand that employees not use cannabis. It is my understanding the practice of testing for that is quickly declining. The excuse for a positive test, that you used cannabis in a weed legal state, is not going to help you. If the company is so paranoid they continue testing they won't care.

It depends on the rules at his job. Like it or not, while it’s legal in your state, it may still not be allowed at his, or your work. Police? Doctors? Nurses? Truck driver behind you?

The individual will lose his or her job.

If the company has a no drug use policy, then the employee has broken the policy. End of story, get a new job.

I'm not an employer, but my guess is they are fired regardless.

A positive UA isn't necessarily conditional based on "where" partaking took place.

That would be my guess.

I mean it's legal here in my state, but we would still get canned if it were found in our system - I guess the employer just simply doesn't want us to use it and possibly showing up high at work is implied (?) if a UA ends up positive.

Better safe than sorry.

That stuff ain't worth losing employment over I guess is what I'm saying.

• perfectlybaked

I know. I've been on this site for more than a decade. My screen name was supposed to allude to a joke about 3 ethnicities, not Mary Jane. I didn't know that's how it would happen lol.