Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationCamping · 10 months ago

Is it safe for a 21 year old man to go solo hiking and camping in woodlands and moorlands?

Favorite Answer

yes.......................................

• Jim

Safety is relative word.  We are all at risk all of the time.  An airplane could hit you house right now.  The question is how likely.  If you live in the approach path of an airport it is more likely than if you don't.  

If you hike alone and you get lost, injured, or sick and can't continue you would obviously be better off with someone to help you.  If you carry a phone (and have coverage) you are better off.  If you hike on popular trails where you might get help from some fellow hikers that helps too.  I hike alone on popular trails where there is little chance of getting lost.  I used to climb alone but my wife will not let me any more since my climbing buddy fell to his death while climbing solo. So in conclusion; minimize your risk by taking some supplies in case you are benighted. Leave a note with a friend and say where you are going and when you will be back.  I used to carry a pistol in some cases, but it was heavy and I never found a use for it so I don't any longer.  

Yes .

• abdul

That would depend on where of course. Avoid areas with apex predators, like polar bears or grizzly bears. Usually in regions without those sorts of fauna, you can hike in relative safety.

Generally yes, of course. Otherwise the occasional attacks or murders wouldn't be such big news.

Obviously a lot depends on the man himself. Is he experienced in hiking and camping? Does he know this particular area well, or might he encounter wildlife or other dangers that he's not familiar with?

There can't be one simple 'Yes' or 'No' answer for EVERY 21-year-old man who goes hiking and camping.

Watch out for rattlesnakes