Volkswagen polo 1.2 2006 warning light on the dashboard.?

I have a volkswagen polo 2006 1.2. When I turn the key to the point just before the engine starts, a little service spanner light appears but makes no noice. The spanner appears along with the number 68000 (the actual milage on the car dissapears (which is around 120,000 miles). After about 5 second, the 6800 dissapears and is replaced with a little clock and the number 21, which I have only just noticed has been counting down each day. Does anyone know what this means?

The wrench(SPANNER) icon means SEE A MECHANIC FOR SERVICING.

All drivers have vision (they can be deaf) so no noise is needed. Your owners manual would have it in there as to this stuff. In every Language spanner means see a mechanic to look at the car. Something needs changing to keep the car going reliably. As for the number thing, every auto maker makes up their own rules as to what the numbers mean. Ford is different than Chev is different than VW. I got a Honda so those numbers mean nothing to me....just the spanner(wrench) icon means the SAME in every vehicle.

Auto mechanic 40 years...sometimes I got to look up the schitt.

68000 miles could mean timing belt should be changed, because if that should snap. You now own a paperweight. Much cheaper to change a belt than replace an engine.(because you will destroy the engine)

• zipper

When it hits zero bomb goes your car! Take it in for a repair fool!

polo owner's manual - read it and learn http://www.vwpolo.net/volkswagen_polo_owners_manua...

the spanner is a service light ..its telling you a service is due ...after a service they switch it back to another 12 months ...or if your american ...every 5 minutes

• Neil

I suspect that the 6800 and the 21 are the miles and days until the next service is due, according the manufacturer's service schedule and the point at which the last service was carried out and the service indicator reset.

Your owner's manual should be able to confirm this.

• bubba

it is how many days you have before your car become obsolete, time to buy a new one ASAP