Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationOther - Outdoor Recreation · 12 months ago

Why wear hiking boots?

I always liked outdoor stuff, got myself waterproof clothes, zip off sleeves all thst good stuff, but I never understood why people bother with boots?

When it comes to big old heavy boots that make your feet sweaty, or regular trainers or sandals, I aint choosing boots. Other footwear has thus far done me fine.

• Toruko

I know somebody who had walked

unshod for years before being

photographed by National Geographic

Magazine. Exploring barefoot under

New Mexico. Hundreds then tried to

begin treks using footwear 'toughened'

feet. Ouch, ouch, ouch, etc. He's a

resident of Santa Catalina Island now

and has caves to share if reader is

inclined to bare those toes.

• They're fantastic in cold and snowy conditions. Before I started working from home I'd wear Gore-Tex hiking boots to the office and put my dress shoes on once I got there. When it's below freezing you want something that will keep your feet dry and somewhat warm.

They keep your knees from danger.

• Adam D

Are you hiking rugged terrain, or are you walking a nice path that happens to go through the woods? Put on a pair of sneakers with flexible soles and walk a few hours on uneven, rocky surfaces - you'll see really quickly why people like stiff-soled hiking boots.

Try hiking a day in cold, rugged, mountainous terrain in your "trainers".

Yes, bump your ankle against a rock. Maybe a nice triangular set of Wild Apple Thorns. They are about 3" long and sit like a tripod on the ground. Step on one of those once. Heck just step next to one and let it run about 2 inches up your ankle.The tips are always dry and break off in you. Loads of fun while sitting around the campfire. How about some Mesquite, or Pecan trees ? A few desert cactus ? Ever try some flint. OH yes, it can cut like a razor.

I only mention these thoughts to add to what the other intelligent folks have said about your ankles. When out and if any distance from the road or walking long distance taking care of your feet is a MOST important thing. It IS pretty terrible if you start getting blisters. You talk about PAIN.

I highly suggest you should listen and learn from those who know.

I love my Rocky Boots. Never cold feet, and great for walking AND climbing. I used to buy them right at the factory.

Depends on the distance, terrain, and climate. Modern boots are not all that heavy. If the terrain is uneven they can help prevent your ankles for tiring or getting twisted. And trainers or sandals can suck if they get wet or muddy.

• Rick

Especially if you're carrying any sort of load (as in backpacking) they are helpful for ankle support. An ankle twisted on a tree root stumble is more harmful with a 40 lb. backpack load. Also, "big old heavy boots" doesn't really do justice to todays modern hiking boots. Todays combination of newer sole materials and uppers constructed of leather for wear areas and breathable / waterproof fabrics for the remainder have mostly solved your problems of heavy boots and sweaty feet.