Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesToyota · 5 months ago

Which car to give my 16 year old daughter? 2003 Volvo XC90 or 2011 Toyota Corolla? READ DESCRIPTION!?

I know these cars are very different from one another, but I'm still thinking which car to give her. For the Corolla, it's obviously good because it's cheap in gas. Although a disadvantage is when it's snowing. For the Volvo, much more expensive in gas, but it's more safer in most circumstances (snowing, driving in the highway, etc.)

Corolla of course. Realiable than ever especially it's your daughter's first car? I assume?

Volvos reputation precedes it. They are safe. However, that reputation was established during a time when most cars weren't as safe. Your average vehicle today is on par with Volvo in terms of safety, so they no longer have that trump card, outside of what they offered in the past. also, XC90s of that vintage are prone to transmission failure. The Corolla would be your best bet of the two. If you really want a crossover and AWD like the XC90, have you considered a Highlander? Lower operating costs and lower insurance, plus more reliable.

I'd get the Toyota.

The other factor to consider is ease of drivability. It will be easier for her to maneuver the Toyota, and probably better on blind spots. Being a new driver, this will likely matter more than it would to a seasoned one. You also don't want it breaking down on her, and a '11 Toyota is less likely to. Some people may dissagree, but I think there is a reverse logic to getting a car that handles better in snow. People can become too comfortable, and then actually push their car more when it is good in snow. Depending on where you live, you might actually want there to be a reasonable amount of danger so that she is alert and drives at safe speeds. If she has the false sense of safety that her car "can handle itself in the snow," then she may not feel the need to be as alert, which will actually just make her a worse driver in the snow.

For all these reasons, I would go with the Toyota.

A 16 year old does not NEED a car. The insurance for a teen is ridiculously expensive. The leading cause of death among teens is car accident [fact]. If you want your daughter to have a car because it will be more convenient for you, then you shouldn't have had kids in the first place. Be a responsible parent.

I'd get the Toyota.

Depends how much snow she gets and if she has to venture out in it. The Toyota is by far the best deal and with snow tires on the front will cope with a few inches of snow.

• g

What is the integrity of the XC90? Being 16 years old is extremely questionable.

The Corolla would be a better choice as long at it was outfitted with proper quality tires which can handle ice and snow. That's the key.