Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 10 months ago

If the United States is a free country then why are kids forced to go to school?

Seriously, I just don't get why kids aren't doing anything wrong why are they forced to go to a place where they are bullied and have to deal with being popular from other students? The ******* police force them to go and when they end their lives the police don't care I thought the USA was a free country guess not.

I've been to the hospital due to my extreme anxiety and it's all schools fault.

Pascal the Gambler, a child's life is more important than education.

The police in my state did not offer homeschool and they would never leave me alone, I have depression :(

I'm 20 and still have scars and nightmares from the day I was at the hospital so **** the police.

Last update, I had autism or Mutism and didn't have any friends and always sat alone at lunch I just think we should have our own freedoms.

Favorite Answer

Growing up has major challenges but that is unavoidable. The main reason you are forced to go to school is because otherwise you will end up on welfare and the rest of us will have to support you.

• Anna

People who go to school can still end up on benefits. I went to school and still recieved job seekers. I don't get it now cause I have a part time job in a supermarket.

USA is indeed not a free country, but compulsory schooling does not make it not free. Having so many laws and prisoners do.

And in all developed countries education is required, be it at home or at school. This is why these countries are developed and rich.

I used to think like you. Now at 19, I wish school would be required to last until 21. The benefits and freedoms of being a child/minor are literally endless. Trust me, jobs, college, and the adult world are MISERABLE!! Enjoy your best years while you can. It will end only too soon.

• 10 months agoReport

No matter how you look at it were all slaves to the rich and government. They don't even care if we're suicidal.

But you are free … to throw yourself a pity party.

• Bruce

You are confusing "freedom" with "obligation".

You have the freedom to chose most things, you do not have the freedom to choose all things. You don't have obligations to most things, but you have obligations to some things.

No, the police do not force kids to go to school. There are plenty of drop-outs and plenty of kids who are home-schooled.

You don't understand freedom as it applies to your life. It's not freedom not to go to school and be dummies. It's freedom to pursue your dreams in life including happiness, money, and everything in between.

Because a more educated population makes everyone better.

Most cultures, most societies, seek a level of education and communication that will enable their citizens to function fluidly in changing environments and have a preparation, as can be afforded, for their individual futures and their participation in society. Hence why there are things like schools. And common rituals and songs and stories. To encourage a feeling of belonging and identity and compassion towards fellow citizens. Unless you have personally experienced other societies, you might not really understand how very MUCH freedom citizens of the USA have.

During the Great Depression they needed to open up jobs so they mandated that kids go to school. It's been that way ever since.

The US is a democracy (somewhat) and democracy only functions (somewhat) with an educated electorate. That's why it is compulsory. If you were in a country with a different form of government you would have even less freedom.

Even without any government at all it wouldn't be that "free" because you would be constantly having to defend yourself from roving bands of warlords and violent gangs.

Freedom is never absolute. Freedom is always limited by the fact that you have to allow other people their freedoms. And in many places you don't even get that.