Can my auto insurer increase my premium if...?

My son s insurance is attached to my account since we live in the same house. He pays for his own insurance on his car. If he were to get in an accident or get a ticket, while driving his vehicle, can my premium be increased too?

• May
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

...Are you sure Son's insurance is |attached to your account"? I have never heard of such a thing You say he has "his own car". . As such each vehicle is insured on its own and each vehicle has its own policy and each policy will list the principal driver and that is a big part of determining the premium. Because he lives in your household and has his own car should not affect your car's insurance,. They are entirely separate.

Speak with your insurance agent about this.

1 year ago

Its YOUR policy, Any claim will affect your rate.

• zipper
    1 year ago

NO! Unless he was driving your car they can not touch your rate.

• g
    1 year ago

Of course it would.

If your son's automobile is listed on your insurance account any accident or moving violation which he might accrue would very much effect your premium cost.

1 year ago

Absolutely yes. Your premium is in part determined by who lives under your roof even if they have their own car and have their own insurance. From an insurance perspective they represent a risk because they might drive your vehicle.

• 1 year ago

I would say most likely yes, as Ins companies know darn well sooner or later, your son will be driving your car for one reason or another, and that increases the likelihood they'll be paying for damages caused by him.

• 1 year ago

Since you didn't specify what "attached to your account" means, the answer is maybe and that's final. It depends on the laws and practises where you live, which you didn't say.

Where I live, kids living at home can get a "family discount" if they insure their cars with the same insurance company as Mom & Dad. It's not a fortune, but they'll get stuff like renewal, multi-vehicle and home-and-auto discounts. But the kids still have their own policy, so any accidents or tickets they have (anything that will affect the premium) stays on their policy.

In other jurisdictions, the laws and procedures are different. Unless you mention where you live and exactly how your kid's insurance is linked to yours, it's anybody's guess.

Why not call your insurance provider and ask them? They'll tell you if you ask, and their answer won't be a guess.

• 1 year ago

If the son owns a car in his name, he has to carry insurance. Everyone who lives in your household and who drives has to be listed as additional insureds on your policy. Some insurers will allow for an "excluded driver" and the premiums won't be affected. But your son would not be covered if he used your vehicle.

1 year ago

attached to my account... That says it all right there so they sure can increase your premiums.

1 year ago

Absolutely. Big time, too.