Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 7 months ago

I’m very afraid of death?

I’m 17 and I’ve never thought about death until recently. I assume that once you’re dead it’s just like how it was before you were born, forever.

I’m afraid of three things, though.

1. I’ll never get to remember my life and everything I did in it

2. I’ll never get to see what the world is like after I’m gone and how I’m remembered

But most importantly

3. I will never get the opportunity to exist again

How do I escape these fears???

Death is not the end the afterlife is very real. Live a good life and you will have a good afterlife to. Talk to a priest or minister. Thinking there is no afterlife is a false view of eternity.

It's great you are reaching out for help with this and not keeping your thoughts bottled up inside. Have you tried talking with your parents or any other trusted adults about your fears?

Finding someone you trust to talk to about fear of dying is the start of minimizing these fears.

We are happy to talk with you about your fears or anything else that you may be struggling with - we are open 24/7.

Take care of yourself,

SM, Counselor

Boys Town National Hotline

1-800-448-3000

What's your source?

Www.yourlifeyourvoice.org

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for thou art with me. Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me Ps 23:4 KJV

Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

John 11:25-26 | KJV

And fear not them that kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell Matt 10:28

For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.

Romans 14:8 | KJV

Also read Revelation 20:6

At least read it before pushing it aside. All the best, any questions about the bible I am here to answer :)

don't be.

try learning about Islam and it teaches that there is an afterlife. you'll exist again

I'm not, there is no school after death.

Just remember one simple thing. Over one hundred billion people have already lived and died. You are just a drop in the ocean of life. Nothing is going to happen that hasn't already happened to tens of billions of other people. isn't that comforting ??

Realize that millions of people have already died, and no one has come back to complain about it.

• Vortex

Fear is good and bad. Without fear we would do dangerous things and die early deaths. It prevents us all from being dare devils. On the other hand it can paralyze us into not living or enjoying life. If we don't enjoy life there is no point in living. I believe we do have soul and continue on in a better place. Let's say I am wrong, so what, I won't miss anything, I won't care about anything, so what is to fear? I was just like you, so I do understand but it is such a waste of mental energy to even think about it.

Escaping your fears is easy. Most people do it: just believe in some afterlife, the immortality of the soul, things like that. But escaping is not overcoming. Believing in such things doesn't change the fact that they most probably aren't real.

A wise bat once said: "To conquer fear, you must become fear." "Become fear" here means "become the cause of fear", or even "become aware of your identity with the cause of fear". Here are some quotes that may or may not help you:

"[Walter Grammaté's etched self-portrait titled The Great Dread, a.k.a. The Great Anxiety] is a confrontation with one's death, one's nothingness, as the only authentic way of life in a nihilist world. It shows death not as something fearful in the future, something to be avoided or postponed by piety or by medical technology, but as life's nihilist essence now and always. [...] The _memento mori_ of The Great Dread is not 'Remember that you _will_ die!' but 'Remember that you _are_ dead!' or 'Remember that you _are_ death!'—" (Harry Neumann, "The Specter at Liberalism's Feast".)

'Your terror is that, unless transhumanism succeeds within your natural lifetime, you will no longer be a self after that lifetime. So telling you that you're already not a self, and have never been a self, cannot ease your terror.

But the fact that you will probably, a hundred years from now, no longer exist already tells us that you don't really exist even now, and have never really existed. All that seems to exist is illusion. Your death only matters to the illusion that is your self, and the illusions that are your loved ones' selves. See through that illusion, and the terror's gone.' http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopic.php?p=268...

"The dissolution of the self means a complete identity with the Infinite and therefore with nothing partial. No event can trouble the individual who has perceived this Reality, for there can be no anxiety or fear of death if there is no one there to die, so to speak. The identification with any partial, component thing has been transcended and therefore any occurrence to these things does not disturb the Hermit. It represents equanimity of the mind raised to the highest possible degree." https://iao131.com/tag/crossing-the-abyss/

You only get one life so dont spend it worrying about it ending. Just enjoy every day as much as possible. Spend time with friends, fall in love, try to make a difference in someones life.

Always remeber the saying "Live, laugh, love".