Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 7 months ago

How can i convince my mom to let me go to mexico for my dads wedding?

So when i was younger i used to live in mexico. we have a house and half of my cousins live their. My dad has decided to get married by the church in september in mexico. I really want to go to be able to support him and see all my old friends and family in person again. My dad is on board but my mom isn't. I understand that since i look white it might be more dangerous for me and that she wants me to be safe. I've been trying to convince her of letting me see mexico again but have failed several times. My dad is fine with it and my other sister (22) is going as well. she says that i can go when i'm 18 but by then my dad and his wife will be living here in the us. i also know that my school starts in sept. and that she might also not let me go because i would miss school but maybe that could be a way to convince her? i've been to scared to ask my sisters to help so i've turned to the internet. Please give me ideas that will help my case so that i can be surrounded by my culture again.

Favorite Answer

Where in Mexico? Most of Mexico is fine- it's the border areas where the drug gangs operate that are dangerous. but you're not in danger because you look "white". There are huge retirement communities of people from the US in the central plateau area, and very multinational communities in cities like Guadalajara and Leon. As long as you don't mess with drug dealers, there's no danger. I'm on Facebook with a number of people from the US, England and Canada who have lived for years in Mexico- they are not reporting any problems. Missing school is a different issue. Maybe that's your mom's real objection.

• advice7 months agoReport

i would be in guanajuato so it was never not safe but she looks at the news and only hears the bad stuff. im good in school and havent missed school since elementry school but shes still worried for me. do you have any ways you think would work to convince her if i show her that the city is safe?

• Sparky

I would be very worried for you going to Mexico.

You mom doesn't want you to go because she loves and cares for you and doesn't want to be worrying the whole time you are there.

rnaybe you can try bribing your rnorn into letting you go

• .

How much school would you be missing? Listen to your mom.

• advice7 months agoReport

well maybe a day because it would be on the weekend but maybe a week because my dad wants me to visit family.

When mexico is sending it's people they are not sending it's best.

They are bringing drugs, crime, rapists and some i assume are good people - Donald Trump