Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelCruise Travel · 12 months ago

Can I use my data on a cruise?

I know it costs a lot but does data work on a cruise? Or not like when I’m at sea sorry if it sounds stupid?

Only if you pay for it on the ship!

You have to sign up for an expensive internet plan.

You will not have data when in the ocean. Some cruises have internet connection for a fee and is usually very expensive and slow. You’ll be able to use your phone or computer when near the port.

No. There are no cell towers at sea. All cruise lines offer wifi, the price varies from cruise line to cruise line, as does the speed and quality. CElebtrity offers wifi as a perk. It s not terribly expensive on RCL, Can t remember what I paid, but it wasn t much. Pretty much every port has free wifi, or, in the case of Bermuda, you can buy access pretty cheaply.

If you are using wifi, you won t be using your data. The trick is to put your phone on airplane mode, then turn on wifi calling. If you don t, you will incur international roaming charges and get a really nasty surprise when you get hoe. Another option is to get a portable wifi hot spot. They run about 8$ for a continuous 24 hour block of time. Again, it won t work on the ship but they work great in ports.

I would think it depends on the ship and its capabilities. I once taught an online course for a week using their access and desktop while I was cruising aboard a ship. It worked just fine, but it did cost a bundle.

I found that it was cheaper just to wait for the ship to dock somewhere and then use my smartphone to process data under a special foreign operations plan. My latest, ATT plan, was a $10 per day use and they only charged that $10 if I actually streamed data that day. Don't remember my data limit, but I never ran into it.

• Greg

Almost definitely not. It depends upon your phone, plan, and the ship. In most situations, you have to buy a data package from the ship. Do not forget to put your phone in airplane mode any time you are on the ship. If you receive a call it will be about $5/minute. In port, it again depends. I get free data in about 120 countries.

• Joe

ya it works probably for like 6 dollars a minute

Cruise ships will not be in your cell carrier's network, so the kind of plan you have with them doesn't matter, as you will be unable to access it. Your accesss aboard ship will be based on the capability and pricing of the ship's data and wifi plans.

Once the ship comes into a foreign port, your data use will be based on what rates your carrier charges for out of country use, and such rates tend to be MUCH higher than domestic data costs.