Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 year ago

Any atheist living in the closet? I'm an atheist but it seems like religious people get all the luck through prayer. I think it may be?

A power of thought thing. Any atheist out there practice religion even though you don't believe? What's your story?

• A.J.
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

First, yes, there are closet atheists. People who believe in religion reject those who don't, so atheists may lie about what they believe when asked. Second, It is difficult to group people into precise beliefs and levels of doubt. I firmly do not believe in the Judao-Christian-Islam God, nor any entity to pray to or worship. There is a tiny bit of physical evidence about a consciousness of the universe or a connection of life. I neither reject nor accept this universal connection. Is that "Free Thinker" rather than atheist or agnostic?

There is no relation between luck and prayer. Luck is random. I live in Las Vegas and play slots.

There is a relationship where prayer gives some people a serenity. As to anything that is worked for to achieve, positive thinking and attitudes help regardless of religion.

Whomever agrees with you is a tainted opinion. Usually, atheists take a higher self-determination and self-responsibility and set goals and work for them, rather than praying for something good to happen.

There are far more religious people than atheists, so in a percent of good random events, more will occur to religious people, just by simple statistics.

1 year ago

A person can battle atheism and other sins using the rosary and fasting.

• 1 year ago

Have you considered how much bad is in this world and most of this world are God believers? Certainly we would be living in paradise if their prayers actually worked. We would also not have so much disarray if being a theist is supposed to give you the good life. Yes there are in the closet atheists for a variety of reasons that usually center around being rejected as an atheist. My poor sister is a devout Christian and she is the only one in our family having the hardest of times, much which is brought on by her believing God is going to do things for her while the rest of our atheist family does things for ourselves and usually have to help her out.

• Caesar
    1 year ago

To be honest, is more probable that you find more theist out there practicing a religion even though they don't believe...

• I recommend you read the "Dark Night of The Soul" by St. John of the Cross. I say this because St. John was a tremendous saint, hence he is a saint, but the fact that he went through a period of his life having a hard time believing in God and etc., the fact that he persevered through it is so inspiring. Not everyone has the grace of being really connected with God but if you still try and strive to be Christian, you rewards in Heaven will be great. Atheists surely have a great suffering of not feeling connected to God, I am sure they would be great Christians if they would persevere through that suffering like St. John did. Another saint that underwent this is St. Mother Teresa of Calcutta! Hope I helped.

• 1 year ago

Obviously not through prayer. They get all the luck through Church network, community preference when it comes to applying for a job, and consequently, ostracism against atheists...

That's why 30 % of weekly churchgoers are actually closet atheists who just pretend under social pressure.

In Europe, it's more or less the opposite. Churchgoers are regarded as an endangered species we should protect, not because they are interesting, but just because they are endangered.

• 1 year ago

TIRH NOT ABOUT THEM....YES WE CAN SPEAK WITH GOD ONCE WE FIND HIM....PRAY TWICE OR MORE DAILY...IT COULD TAKE SOME TIME TO FIND HIM AT FIRST...IT TOOK ME 18 MOS. DO NOT GIVE UP PRAYING.

1 year ago

No, I think you are a troll, not who you purport to be. really were an Atheist, you would not attribute good luck to prayer. How can you believe in God and lie so openly, shame you.

• 1 year ago

Wouldn't be fair to call it "practicing", but I'm actively involved in the study of Christianity, and it's a major part of my life.

I'm not in the closet about it though. In fact, it's why I get so much hate from Christians.

Christians have hated me for my interest in Christianity since I first seriously formed it as a teenager.

• Cogito
    1 year ago

The power of positive thinking has nothing to do with religion.

I'm an atheist, and if I want something a lot, I try to envisage how to achieve that. It's not prayer - just channelling my brain into solving the problem!