Should I buy a flooded 1984 GMC K1500?

Looking to buy a 1984 GMC K1500 that was flooded in 2003. It is running and has no rust. The dealership told me the engine has been swapped. My question is am I taking a risk buying this vehicle? It has been running since ‘03 without issues. Can water damage still affect it 16 years later? Also is $14,000 too much to pay?

Dude, call your insurance company & ask them. I'm sure you'll get a response that you won't forget.

• Jensen

Never ever buy a flooded-car! Water can ruin electronics, lubricants, and mechanical systems. It may take months or years, but corrosion can find its way to the car's vital electronics, including airbag controllers. You'll need to spend a fortune to make sure that your truck is in proper working order again.

All the electrical connectors will eventually corrode and empty your pockets trying to fix it constantly.

That includes the modules and PCM.

If it's $2000 I guess it's not that big of loss.

$14,000 for a good 1984 K1500 is a total joke!

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • JetDoc

Yes... $14,000 is too much to pay for a 35-year-old pickup. Especially one that has a history of flood damage.

Don't buy it. You already know the bad history. The price is way too much.

Never, ever, buy a flood damage vehicle. You will have major electrical problems and rust down the road. It may take years for the problems to appear but they will eventually. Walk away from this vehicle or you will regret the day you purchased this truck.

• Ian K

https://www.carsforsale.com/1984-gmc-ck-1500-serie...

If it is a body-off restoration with 0-mile engine, new tranny, new interior, and all electrical replaced, go for it... as long as you don't ever plan on selling it and have no possible way to get to another vehicle and zombies are swarming, it is your only way to escape.

Otherwise run away from that "deal".

• Eva

$14,000 for a 35 yr old half ton? That's ridiculous.

• Ron

14 grand? if it were fully restored and customized with gold plated interior, it still wouldn't be worth that much.

yeah 14000 is far too much.

flooding is major damage

and the car is old

a 1992 1500 is only 3-4k

1984 would be half that....