Why are UK trains so bad yet so expensive?

Like I wouldn't mind paying the extortionate fares if the trains were well organised and always ran on time but they just don't! Cancelled Delayed seems to be the motto of British rail these days and it doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon. When I visited Japan I was taken aback. I literally... show more Like I wouldn't mind paying the extortionate fares if the trains were well organised and always ran on time but they just don't! Cancelled Delayed seems to be the motto of British rail these days and it doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon.

When I visited Japan I was taken aback. I literally remember thinking to myself (at least in terms of train technology) they are 50 years ahead. The trains are clean and NEVER late. And they are probably half the price to boot. As long as you avoid downtown Tokyo during the morning and evening rush hours, I cannot think of anything negative about them.

Why can Japan get it so right but the UK gets it so wrong?