promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Did the dial tone for rotary phone sound different than the dial tone for touch tone?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago

The dial tones were exactly the same. No matter which version you used, you picked up the receiver and heard the same friendly dial tone.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    10 months ago

Yes. Rotary phones made a popping noise. when they were dialing the number

• AVDADDY
      Lv 7
      10 months agoReport

You are confusing "dial tone" with "pulse dial".

• 10 months ago

The sound of the ring that the caller hears could vary between exchanges. Some of the old equipment could sound like an electromechanical burp to indicate the one(s) called experienced the ring signal even if the ringer was turned off or was not functional.

• james
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

The old ones yes. As the mike & receiver were not the same quality as today. Much larger also. Even with the same dial tone. The phone when you dialed worked on contact points inside. So you had a click click click as the points made & broke contact. Of the rotary dial.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 months ago

The dial tone is no difference but, to dial, a touch tone phone generates different tones for each button while a dial phone produces a series of electrical pulses, the number of pulses related to the number dialed.

• 10 months ago

Dial tones are generated at a telephone exchange office.

While there can be a slight variation in the exact sound

depending on the exchange where it originates,

the quality of the wiring for each line, and the speaker in each individual phone,

it will sound essentially the same on all phones connected to a particular exchange.

I recently repaired a handset cord on a rotary dial phone.

When I finished, I used that phone to call its owner to tell him it was ready.

Though it had been something like forty years since I last used a rotary dial,

my finger went exactly where it needed to go.

It was sort of fun.

• 10 months ago

No difference.

The dial tone is generated by the telephone exchange equipment. That does not "know" what type of phone is on any particular analog phone line.

• 10 months ago

The dial tone seemed about one note lower on the rotary phone than it did on the touch tone. That's my recollection, anyway.

• ...Show all comments
    • CantHaveItBothWays
      Lv 7
      10 months agoReport

It could be in the different speakers in the different phones. The tone could be the same but equipment past the transmission wire could make it sound different.

• Benny
    Lv 6
    10 months ago

No, they were the same.

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

same tone .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.