Nina asked in SportsWinter SportsIce Skating · 6 months ago

Is it worth it to go ice skating alone?

Heyy I’m really indecisive so I came here for some advice. Here’s my query-

I really want to get better at ice skating (I have my own hockey skates and I can confidently skate forward and half snowplough stop). However, my ‘local’ ice rink is around 35 mins away by tube and none of my friends can or want to accompany me. I am a 14 year-old girl, I’ve done the journey before, so that isn’t really the main issue. The dilemma is whether the journey there is worth it to skate alone for a bit...?

• Favorite Answer

Yes! Being by yourself eliminates distractions which means you can work on your skating, which is why you re there!. Work on your stops, try to learn a hockey stop, work on becoming better at using your edges, and start to work on backwards skating. Go, and have a great time!

• Nina6 months agoReport

I’m feeling even more determined now - your advice really means a lot! You’re right, I’ve decided I’ll go tomorrow whether I’m with friends or not. Thank you again for your inspiring answer!! :-)

Yes. Try to make friends with other skaters there. I did when I used to go roller skating.

• Nina6 months agoReport

Oh that’s a good idea! :-)
      (I’m quite shy when it comes to meeting new people however)

• Candy

I would .I know what you mean .No one would do things with me aswell .Looking back if I hadnt develped young that ability to go out and do it alone ( the excercise) then I wouldn t be where I am today in my health in my 40s .Go for it !!!

• Nina6 months agoReport

Thank you for your motivating reply! Your confidence is what I needed to give me the final push to be more independent and go alone. Thank you!! :-)

If you're practicing I would go alone. Unless they're there to help you practice. Then they'll just be a distraction.

• Nina6 months agoReport

They don’t help me practice, so you’re right in saying they’ll be a distraction. Thank you for your insight! :-)

Personal experience

not really worth it

but you might have fun

so in the end it is worth it

• Nina6 months agoReport

Yes- I may aswell go for it. Thank you for your reply! :-)