Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCommuting · 5 months ago

Why don't American cities have good public transportation like in the olden days?

31 Answers

Relevance
  • Joe
    Lv 5
    5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

The car company's took care of public transportation when cars started coming around. I heard one of their tactics was buy up trolley car company's and shut them all down. people wee forced to buy cars. The early car companies, steel and rubber companies, they all benefitted. I guess the crooked politicians dipped their beaks in that water too... And today, we are all slaves to the car. Public transportation, trolleys, busses, they were never developed as they were in other countries.

• 4 months ago

They do but its alot of people & that slows it down

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Too many people!

The USA should have a population only 100 million.

• 5 months ago

It could be because they no longer make 57 Chevrolets..

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

You guessed it, Frank Stallone

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Some of them still do, but many cities have grown faster than their mass transit infrastructure can keep up, and there's no money to expand services to reach the larger population.

• 5 months ago

'cause it isn't the olden days any more.

• Cap'n. America
      Lv 4
      5 months agoReport

My city had exclusive electric trams in 1916; about 100 years later; supplanted with LNG powered diesel busses and a modern downtown tram. More routes in 15 years. more busses than in 2004.

• 5 months ago

I know Los Angeles was developed in the days of the automobile, when planners thought everyone would drive their own car everywhere from now on. So we have six lane streets in small suburbs and no public transportation. L A is also spread out over about 2000 square miles so it is not fiscally possible to provide public transportation like you see in New York City or Rome.,

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

because too many toothless pasty's live on the buses

• 5 months ago

San Francisco public transportation is good.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.