Frankenstein’s Cat theme?

So for school I have to read the book Frankenstein’s Cat: Cuddling up to biotech’s brave new beasts, by Emily Anthes. I was wondering if anyone who has read this could possibly identify the theme or themes of the book. It isn’t like a story so it’s hard to tell and I’m bad at literature. I need this for a summer reading essay and it would woo out a lot. Thank you in advance

• j153e
    Favorite Answer

It's non-fiction, and has cute stories about saving dolphins (by positive biotech), GloFish as neutral cute pet fish that glow under blue light, and some not-so-good examples such as designing mice to have unhealthy genomes.

The author comes to this: biotechnology is neither good nor bad, but human thinking/feeling/usage makes it so, to paraphrase Hamlet.

So by good intent, consider using the Hamlet quote "There is nothing good or bad, but thinking makes it so," and maybe even the Apostle Paul's "To the pure, all thing are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure" quote, if your teacher is not Christophobic, in order to describe Anthes' main theme. Then, use examples she provides and maybe add some of your own research, such as mice with human brains, monkeys with human brains, etc., which accounts are locatable on the web. Fairly straightforward or simple premise/theme, and you might gain extra points if you give your own ethical opinion about how we humans might be kinder to the mammals, birds, amphibians, and fish. (Mosquitoes, not so much; they could be removed and not be missed; in fact, it would be a blessing.)

Yes. I hope this all woos out a lot for you, y' lazy little sod.

Aren't you supposed to read it first? Then if you have questions, ask them. Is it fiction or non-fiction? Can you at least tell us that?