What do you do when someone you love is diagnosed with cancer?

A family member I am very close with was recently diagnosed.

I don't want to come around too often and have her think I'm hovering. But I also don't want to stay away if she wants me there.

I don't want to ask too many questions (she is probably being asked the same questions over and over).

I am beside myself with worry, but I don't want her to see me bawling my eyes out. But I don't want her to think I don't care.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated!

Be the same loving friend you still are. Talk to and her family about visiting and talk to them about your level of involvement.

• Ocimom

Continue treating her as you have been before you found out. If she wants to talk about the cancer, then be a good listener and be there for her.

• Alan H

Make sure you atre available without overdoing it.

Discuss it with family members

let her guide the conversation.. don't ask too many questions about their health..

• Foofa

Many cancers these days have relatively good prognoses, so don't assume this is fatal. Just be there for this person to the degree they need or want. Offer your help and let them tell you what they require.

Send an email or text, asking how she is feeling and if she feels up to a visit.

Perhaps you should ask her if you can come over.

• Tavy

You carry on as normal as I did with my friend. Why are you asking if you should stay away, why for gods sake? They need you to act as you always do. If they want to talk about then they will.

Both of us have already been thru that scare, it's not an instant death sentence anymore ..............................................

Source(s): Grand Dad of Twelve.

Hold hands with her