Rightman asked in EnvironmentConservation · 11 months ago

if we re meant to be so "green" these days then why don t fruit and veg at supermarkets use brown paper bags anymore?

..instead of annoying roll of plastic bags that are really hard to find the end of.

BTW paper bags in large quantity cost around 1p each.

• PAMELA
    Favorite Answer

If you go shopping take a bag with you, i never accept plastic bags from shops, i have my own cotton shopping bag, and a shopping trollley if i go into a supermarket, there is no need for anyone to have a plastic carrier, no need at all.

• Ludwig

Nicely signalled! I for my part, do not drive a car. And I don't see why anybody else should.

Plastic bags are better. They don't break when they get wet and are recyclable.

• F

Given paper bags are made from trees and they are our best defence against CO2 levels, it would be stupid to go down that route. Anyway they are as energy intensive to make a poly bags and much more costly to transport. I have woven poly bags some are more than 10 years old and they are still usuable and very strong. reuse is much greener than reccyling.

I read the other day that some supermarket IS re-introducing strong paper bags.

poly bag cheap, paper bags expensive

• Ludwig

People who ask that are too young to remember the days when the greengrocers sold you your vegetables in brown paper bags.

There is no such thing in life as a free meal, even for brown paper bags.

So, plastic packaging when manufactured, used and disposed of in a responsible way is an extremely environmentally friendly product, it is when it isn't manufactured, used and disposed of in a responsible way does it become an environmentally damaging product.

In other words, plastic is not the problem its the way it is used and disposed of that is the problem.

I never buy loose fruit and veg after what I have seen. Brats picked their noses and then handling the fruit and adults are no better as some don't wash their hands after going to the toilet. No thanks I will stick with pre wrapped stuff.

• Darren

I recently heard a scientist say that it costs more money and use more energy to make paper bags than plastic bags. That's not to say that plastic bags are good for the environment (they aren't) but paper bags leave a bigger carbon footprint. We need to continue to work to find better solutions.

• Rightman

Yeah, there's a version and counter-version to everything. There are scientists who even dismiss the whole idea of climate change/global warming etc. Makes you wonder why bother?

In the good old days the greengrocer chucked your loose potatoes from his weigh pan into your shopping bag, soil and all. Now we are all self service that doesn't work anymore; supermarkets think paper bags are at too much of a risk of splitting.

Safeways used to give you stout paper bags (American style) with no handles, but did away with them when they were taken over.