Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 4 months ago

Should a 14 year old girl read Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov?

My daughter wants to read Lolita but I'm not sure if there are any graphic themes in the novel. I already put this question up before but I left some things out. She is a mature child and can handle mature themes. She has already seen the movie. The only thing I'm worried about is really explicit scenes and erotic moments.

• Zac Z
    Favorite Answer

Let her read it.

Chances are that she's going to be bored very soon because it's not exactly a thriller. If she is into literature, also fine.

Call me naive but I would let my kid read pretty much everything. If they are not mature enough, they probably will either get bored as I said before or the content will go over their head. I read books that were not in my age range when I was younger and it didn't scar me for life...

As for erotic moments, your daughter is 14. I'd be surprised if what she will find on the pages of that novel will shock her.

If you're really too concerned, read the book first but honestly, if I were in your place I'd let her read it and maybe tell her that she can always have a chat with you if there's anything she wants to talk about.

I’ve only flicked through it but I don’t think there are any graphic matures scenes in it because back when Nabokov wrote it, censorship would not permit them.

It's a work of literature, not porn.

Back then there would be no sex scenes in books. Only the power of suggestion.

• Sharon

nothing really explicit, and certainly not erotic. A bit more explicit about what's happening than the movie. I should add the theme makes nearly everyone miss that Nabokov, a foreigner, builds in a lot of satire of Americana

Go play outside in the sunshine

• j153e

Thanks for the additional information. If she's seen the Kubrick film, it was comparatively toned down; if she's seen the Lyne film, imo she won't be unduly immature reading what Nabovkov wrote down. One of the more strangely erotic bits is a Rube Goldberg-type penetration scene, almost as if the author were advocating a deus ex machina sexual penetration, a kind of fated congress as a hands-off fata morgana vision. Funny as hell, but for a 14 year old girl, maybe encouraging a sense of inevitable progression for her own shtick.

That's your decision to make since you're the mother. Why don't you read the book first and then decide if you approve of her reading it.