Unable to format HDD hard drive?

I've tried a million different methods to format my hard drive but it always fails to even start up. When checking in the event viewer under the System tab, I get the following error every 30 seconds or so: "The IO operation at logical block address 0x5da198 for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\00000085) was retried."

I can't even scan anything since it's currently RAW. It recognizes the disk and even the space available on it, but I just can't format it for some reason. I changed the cables and even put it in a case to try and access it as an external hard drive, but it's the identical issue.

For a little bit of context that may or may not matter, I had previously wiped the data off the hard drive because it was crashing every time I attempted to access the drive via the File Explorer.

I'm SO lost with what to do...

Note: If it is indeed bad sectors, what do I do? Also, the hard drive is only 6 months old, I'm sure it's possible it still has bad sectors, but just figured I'd note that.

The hard drive is a 1TB Toshiba SATA HDD that came with my computer

I appreciate the tips on getting a new one, I will look into it, but is there anything I can do to salvage the data? Even if there's bad sectors, surely there must be some way to get data from sectors that aren't bad, right?

• Who

new or old drive?

the very 1st thing thing you have to do with a HDD is create a partition on it

(some new HDDs come with the drive already partitioned - some dont)

(you do this by going to "control panel"

then select "admistrative tools"

then select "computer management"

then select "disc management"

this will show all the discs you have connected to your system and the status of each one

(if it aint got a partition on it then create one)

Once you done that you can allocate a drive letter and format it

(select the one you want - BE CAREFUL you select the correct one - then right click your mouse and this will list the options)

"I can't even scan anything since it's currently RAW" - this indicates the drive dont have a partition on it

"I had previously wiped the data off the hard drive because it was crashing every time I attempted to access the drive via the File Explorer. "

you cant wipe the data off a drive using a windows program if the drive cannot be accessed by windows explorer

Windows uses a lot of common utilities (part of the operating system) - one of these is used when any program needs to access the hard drive-

If explorer cant access it then neither can any program that also needs to access it - such as wiping the drive

• Valen Dreugh7 months agoReport

Well I used the command prompt which even removed the format from it, don't know what else to say. I have put a partition on it multiple times when attempting to format it, but it still says it's unable to format.

You can send the internal HDD to the manufacturer and have them send you a new one. If this is a laptop, you'll likely have to send the whole computer back and they'll replace the HDD with a new one. When you get the HDD back from the mfg'r you can restore your data from the external USB HDD.

Upadate:

"Well I used the command prompt which even removed the format from it, don't know what else to say. I have put a partition on it multiple times when attempting to format it, but it still says it's unable to format."

You don't know WTF you are doing with a computer.

As far as I know you didn't properly make any partitions. I think it's interesting that you know how to say those words, but you don't know how to use those words.

What if I can format your hard drive???

If you give me your computer, and allow me to format your hard drive, for you, and then I show you a formatted hard drive, then I will grab your computer, and then throw it at your head. I think I am being very nice right now.

Nothing you have done is working because you don't know WTF you are doing with a computer.

I also grew up with computers, and I NEVER asked another human being how to format a hard drive, and yes, I can format hard drives.

Please do yourself a favor, and get rid of your computer. The reason why I said that is because you seem like the type of person who buys things, and doesn't even know what was bought. Yes, you most likely know that you have a computer, but you don't now how to use it.

I would like to know exactly how you are trying to format your hard drive. I can tell you that, for me formatting a hard drive is easier than wiping my own a$$.

Did you ever hear the word backup?

It seems the word backup is not in your vocabulary.

• Valen Dreugh7 months agoReport

I'm usually the person people first go to for help with computer problems, but surprise surprise, no one knows EVERYTHING about them, including me. As for backup, this WAS the backup, it's a pretty new hard drive and I had used it to rescue files from an external hard drive that failed on me.

Formatting the drive "with the intention of recovering the data"? One of us has no idea what you're doing, at the very least.

If your drive fails and you want to recover any of the data stored on it, wiping and definitely formatting is the last thing you would want to do. Yes, there are forensic tools out there that will let you copy out the disk sector by sector - but those will require a second disk of at least equal capacity to write to, and a lot of time and at least some expertise.

Google for forensic disk tools - or start with getting a live linux distribution (any of the usual suspects will do, although there specific live collections geared towards forensics that come with some really powerful tools) and read the man pages for dd. If dd can't get anything from the drive, then your chances start looking real bad.

• Valen Dreugh7 months agoReport

1: Idk why you felt the need to be a complete dick.
      2: I formatted it because I couldn't do anything with it without it crashing, INCLUDING scanning it.I was well aware it wasn't the most ideal situation, but it was my last resort It probably wasn't the best thing to do, but **** happens.

You can't format hard drive until you create a partition try opening disk manager and create a partition. Download system suite active killdisk and boot to it. Use it to overwrite the entire disk the hard disk may have been formatted with Mac and no Windows computer is going to format it until you run something like active killdisk from the boot menu and overwrite the drive! After you do that you should be able to create a partition on it

• opurt

It just sounds like the drive itself is bad. The controller board on it is working well enough to report the kind of drive it is, but anything else is failing. Like David said, get it replaced as it should be under warranty if it's that new.

• Valen Dreugh7 months agoReport

The data on it is more important (I wiped it with the intention of recovering the data). Although I have no issue getting a replacement, and I appreciate that tip from you guys, I'd like to try to salvage the data if at all possible.

With no clues from you what HDD brand, model, what size, what operating system, only suggestion is follow David's advice.

• Valen Dreugh7 months agoReport

Didn't know it was needed, say that next time, please.