Can I still become a professional singer?

I need to sing. That's everything I want in a life. I can't feel happy without it. Not just in karaoke in front of the friends, to sing for me, NO! On the stage, in front of the people who love my songs, make the feelings and feel that I need to someone... But I am already 20. And still can't sing. My voice is not broken, but the sounds that come out of me... it's not singing... So I need a teacher, Need practice, Need improve and learn how to control my vocal voice... But I read most singers biographies and they all sing since the childhood... Since 5-10 yeas. Seems like they sang at the first day of life... When they were 20 years old they already recorded successes albums or even became big. But I, in my 20 years, can't even just sing... Here my question - Can I be singer after this practice? Don't tell me I need many years yet, I know it and this fact kills me... But... can I be professional singer after 20 years of life without singing? Is there any example of a singer who started to Learn how to sing at 20 and became something? Have I any chance?

• Joe
    Favorite Answer

You ever hear of Frank Sinatra ? Greatest singer of his generation ? He sucked in the beginning and worked crappy jobs just to earn enough money to get weekly singing lessons. He worked his butt off. Ever hear of Linda Ronstadt ? She was the Queen of Rock, Country, Broadway, American Classics and Jazz. She says now days its impossible for her to even listen to her older records, that's how terrible she sounded. Linda says she could pick any one of her early hits and fill an entire notebook with all the mistakes she made singing on it. She always said a musician needs to practice four hours a day for ten years to master his instrument, and a singer's voice is his instrument. For you, you need to sing four hours daily until you are 30. With lessons. And you will 100% be a much, much better singer than now. Does that help at all ? Good luck !!!

• Mickey5 months agoReport

Thank you

If you can't sing why are you wishing to become a professional singer? Even if you could sing there is no guarantee you can become professional.

No, you cannot become a professional singer. If you don't have a good voice by now you're never going to have a professional quality voice even with all the vocal coaching in the world. You need to grow up and accept your limitations. You can still sing for your own satisfaction even if you're not at performance level. Accept it and get on with your life.

Lessons only improve voice when there's something innate there to improve. All the lessons in the world won't take someone with no talent and make then a good singer.

The trouble with singing is that you can drastically improve yourself with continuous practise, but to be at a professional level, there has to be some natural talent. So I'm sorry to say that if you aren't good at all at singing now, chances are you aren't going to be doing it as a career. However, you did mention about your songs being heard. Have you considered maybe going into song writing and getting other singers to perform your work?

Anyway, sorry if this wasn't helpful. Best of luck to you! :)

I guess you can do whatever you want to do