Why is metal such an underrated music genre especially this day n age?

it seems everyones listening to trap rap hip hop or latin pop no mwtal songs on the top 100 billboard charts, i mean there r good metal songs, its like metal n the vast majority of rock song r not part of popular charts these day idk w hy.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Glen W
    Lv 5
    11 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Heavy metal has never been widely popular. There have been some very successful bands, like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Judas Priest, and GnR, but mostly the style has been misunderstood, or just kept underground.

As far as what is popular today, people don't want music that is too serious all the time. The style of popular music enjoys more latitude for what is acceptable. Mostly, it is for kids who want to dance at the club, or sing with friends in the car.

• The Lord Humungus.
      Lv 7
      11 months agoReport

And by "never widely popular" you mean "led the charts throughout the late 80s and most of the 90s." Go read Chuck Klosterman, the closest thing metal has to an honest historian.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 11 months ago

Because metal is sad music for uncreative conservatives, nostalgic for the pop music of their youth.

• John
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Me, I think it's most rated just exactly right.

• 11 months ago

Are you sad/mad it's not on dead radio? It doesn't bother me a bit. Let the brain dead listen to trap rap hip hop or latin pop. I consider those that do as too lazy or ignorant to do otherwise specially in the internet era where with a few knowledgeable clicks of the mouse you can find anything you want

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 11 months ago

Maybe it's the Cookie Monster (or worse) vocals that go with much of it?

• 11 months ago

Too much over time = Overkill.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

Metal is a genre that is very traditional, so the people within the genre are very resistant to change. In order to get more fans a genre needs to emulate other genres which are consumed by the masses (rap and pop).

Metal has tried this before (nu metal in the 90s and hair metal in the 80). Both attempts to reach wider audiences were schit on by the metal community.

Metal holds itself back in other words.

Source(s): .56
  • Lv 7
    11 months ago

there are plenty of good metal songs. problem is, so few of them are unique, which leads to few of them being popular.

people who like metal listen to metal. people who want something different are likely to stick with the newer emerging genres of music that didn't exist 10 years ago.

don't let what's popular guide what you like. just be happy you are not following the majority, and can think for yourself...

• 11 months ago

Idk I guess it should make a comeback by now. Any day now. Wait not yet. Okay tomorrow maybe.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.